Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Would this offend you?

Posted by   + Show Post
if you had lost a lot of weight (80 lbs) and people kept commenting "wow you've lost weight!" Would you be offended?

My husband found out in late 2010 that his thyroid doesn't work at all. He had gone in to the dr because his health was getting bad (we thought or was just due to weight gain and this was his first step to making a change). But it turns out, all his issues, including the weight gain, were thyroid related.

So he started taking his thyroid meds, started eating better and started exercising. He now will run about 10 miles a day.

You don't have to be a scientist to figure out he has lost weight. A lot of weight. About 80 lbs!! He's never looked better! ;)

But he's so annoyed when all he hears from people, even people he isn't friends with, tell him "you've lost weight!" It really bothers him.

I don't *think* it would bother me. But I don't know. Would it bother you?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:33 AM
Replies (11-20):
mp3mom
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:28 PM

You know, I can see where it would bother him; I'd lost about 20 lbs a couple of years ago, very quickly. Everyone had something to say; it bothered me. I'm gaining it back. Evrybody has something to say; it's bothering me. So, I can relate. IDK why; it's positive. All he has to do is say "thanks", but I get it.

cleanaturalady
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:58 PM

This. for sure.  

Quoting mypbandj:

I think this is the part that bothers him the most. Its like someone is saying, "Hey, you used to look like crap!" Well, thank you, I guess. LOL

Congrats on your 90 lbs lost! Way to go!!

Quoting Stefanie83:

I get bothered by comments about my weight a lot.  I love to hear about it from my family and from people in my weight loss groups or on myfitnesspal, but I don't really like it when people at work comment on my weight.  But it also depends.  Like if one of my friends at work says "you look good, you've lost so much weight."  I just say thanks and I feel a little weird but it's ok.  If someone I don't really know asks me in the elevator how much weight I've lost I say "oh quite a few pounds" and I think it's annoying!  lol. the exception to that is when someone in another office who was really overweight like me asked about it, I felt really willing to talk to her about it because she said she wanted to lose 100 lbs.  Usually it's people who are like 5 lbs overweight or healthy weight talking about my weight and I don't like for attention to be drawn to my weight.

I really don't like it when people go on and on about how skinny I am and that "I need to stop" (whatever that means).  I'm far from skinny and I don't plan to stop eating healthy or exercising :P

And I've gotten some weird comments like asking me where I hid the missing body and one of my coworkers said that now he's going to be the fat one which I thought was extremely rude. but he says off things sometimes lol

I've lost 90 #s

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Exactly.  I agree totally.

About 10-12 years ago, I saw an old co-worker that I hadn't seen in months...she used to be VERY overweight, and she had lost 75+ pounds I suppose...maybe more...I commented, "You look great!  You've lost a lot of weight!"...Her response to me was, "What are you saying...that I was fat before now I'm not?"  I was very embarrassed as that wasn't what I meant, but I understood her point of view.  After that, I have honestly NEVER once mentioned someone's weight to them...other than to say, "You look wonderful!"

Quoting cleanaturalady:

This. for sure.  

Quoting mypbandj:

I think this is the part that bothers him the most. Its like someone is saying, "Hey, you used to look like crap!" Well, thank you, I guess. LOL

Quoting Stefanie83:

I get bothered by comments about my weight a lot.  I love to hear about it from my family and from people in my weight loss groups or on myfitnesspal, but I don't really like it when people at work comment on my weight.  But it also depends.  Like if one of my friends at work says "you look good, you've lost so much weight."  I just say thanks and I feel a little weird but it's ok.  If someone I don't really know asks me in the elevator how much weight I've lost I say "oh quite a few pounds" and I think it's annoying!  lol. the exception to that is when someone in another office who was really overweight like me asked about it, I felt really willing to talk to her about it because she said she wanted to lose 100 lbs.  Usually it's people who are like 5 lbs overweight or healthy weight talking about my weight and I don't like for attention to be drawn to my weight.

I really don't like it when people go on and on about how skinny I am and that "I need to stop" (whatever that means).  I'm far from skinny and I don't plan to stop eating healthy or exercising :P

And I've gotten some weird comments like asking me where I hid the missing body and one of my coworkers said that now he's going to be the fat one which I thought was extremely rude. but he says off things sometimes lol

I've lost 90 #s

mamivon2
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:12 PM
bother no.. but yes I would get annoyed..
Bookwormy
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:27 PM
I'm not bothered by it, but I've only lost half (50/100) of the weight I really need to lose to be healthy. So I'm ceftainly not thoin. In fact, although I'm no longer morbidly obese, I'm still obese. I've been at this for 2 years, & I'm getting kind of frustrated. But it is quite noticable that I'm a lot smaller than I used to be. So, I know people want to be supportive, & they also think that I've lost more than that. They assume that I'm much closer to my end goal of being a healthy weight than I actually am.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bookwormy
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:33 PM
I want to be feminist, fat positive, feel that I can look good & be sexy at any weight. However, can't be healthy at any weight. My mom died at 47yo after having congestive heart failure when sje was 44yo & morbidly obese for years. I simply can't do that. I'm 42yo & have a not quite 6yo DD at home.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Exactly.  I agree totally.

About 10-12 years ago, I saw an old co-worker that I hadn't seen in months...she used to be VERY overweight, and she had lost 75+ pounds I suppose...maybe more...I commented, "You look great!  You've lost a lot of weight!"...Her response to me was, "What are you saying...that I was fat before now I'm not?"  I was very embarrassed as that wasn't what I meant, but I understood her point of view.  After that, I have honestly NEVER once mentioned someone's weight to them...other than to say, "You look wonderful!"

Quoting cleanaturalady:

This. for sure.  

Quoting mypbandj:

Quoting Stefanie83:

I've lost 90 #s

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Stefanie83
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:00 PM
Lol that's what I feel they are saying too. I can definitely relate

Quoting mypbandj:

Quoting Stefanie83:

I've lost 90 #s

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
uriahadel
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 7:09 AM
I am hearing it all the time now and I am loving it... it will probably start getting annoying after awhile but right now it feels great
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FireVixen
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Nope not at all. He might be translating it to "people didnt think I could loose weight cause of x,y,z" But ANYONE even the best of gym junkies to loose that great amount of weight is an accomplishment.

MARNIE710
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:46 PM

IT SHOULDN'T BOTHER HIM. HE SHOULD BE PROUD OF HIMSELF & EVERY TIME SOMEONE MAKES THAT ANNOYING COMMENT, HE SHOULD PAT HIM SELF ON THE BACK. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN