Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Giving Improves Your Health?

Posted by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:07 PM
  • 8 Replies

Can Giving Actually Improve Your Health?

Maylin Rodriguez-Paez, RN

We know that giving is good for your soul, but is it good for your body too?

As it turns out, giving can indeed benefit you both emotionally and physiologically.

During the holiday season, we tend to give an awful lot. Many of us shower our family, friends, and even our pets with gifts.

As you know, this can become quite expensive and, in many cases, even stressful. But, if done for the right reasons, your gift giving may come right back to you in the form of positive (yet) intangible benefits.

Below we’ll explain the science of giving and show you how it can reward your health in unexpected ways.

Giving is Linked to the Hormone Oxytocin

Scientists aren’t exactly sure why humans give, but they think it has something to do with oxytocin, the “love hormone.”

Oxytocin is released when a woman gives birth. It enhances the bonding between a mother and child and produces what can be best described as “warm and fuzzy” feelings. Apart from that, it also can alleviate depression and anxiety.1

To determine if oxytocin really influences giving, scientists divided a group of college students in two groups, with one group receiving oxytocin and the other a placebo.

They had each group play computer games where the participants could win money to donate to a charity.

At the end of the study, the researchers found that the oxytocin group donated 48% more money.2 Pretty interesting, isn’t it?

Giving Produces Feelings of Happiness

Giving makes people feel good, and science is finally starting to explain why this is the case.

MRI scans show that giving to a cause actually activates the dopaminergic region of the brain.2 This area is associated with rewards and feelings of pleasure.

In an interesting experiment, Harvard scientists gave people money to spend. One group was told to spend the money on themselves, and the other group was told to spend it on others.3

They found that people who spent their money on others felt happier at the end of the day.

Giving Can Actually Prolong Your Life

Giving is not just about donating money or goods; it can also be about donating your time.

In the Wisconsin Longitudinal Study, scientists followed a group of women for 30 years. They documented their behaviors and health patterns and found that women who volunteered lived longer than their non-volunteering peers.4

In another study, scientists surveyed elderly residents living in California. High volunteers (those who participated in two organizations) had a 44% decreased risk of mortality compared to non-volunteers.4

Volunteers show significant benefits in measures of quality of life which include happiness, life satisfaction, self-esteem, depression, and even physical health.4

Giving your time and service has also been found to decrease stress hormone levels.3

The Bottom Line

So, is it truly better to give than to receive? It seems a bit cliché, but science suggests that the answer is yes!

Have you experienced this firsthand in your life? If so, please share your experiences with us in the comments!

References:

1. Trends Neurosci. 2012 Nov;35(11):649-59. 
  2. Horm Behav. 2011 Jul;60(2):148-51.
  3. Anik, Lalin, Lara B. Aknin, Michael I. Norton, and Elizabeth W. Dunn. "Feeling Good about Giving: The Benefits (and Costs) of Self-Interested Charitable Behavior." Harvard Business School Working Paper, No. 10–012, August 2009.
  4. Available at http://www.ssc.wisc.edu/wlsresearch/publications/files/_private/Piliavin-Siegl_Health.Benefits.of.Volunteering.in.the.Wisconsin.Longitudinal.Study.pdf. Accessed November 26, 2012.
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mypbandj
by Jen on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:35 AM
1 mom liked this
Awesome!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
reneawesley
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Interesting. We always adopt angels and donate toys and I do feel good about it. On Saturday, the marines were collecting for toys for tots at the mall. We had to go to the Disney store and picked up a couple of toys. These were things that both girls would normally beg to have. As soon as we left the store, both girls pulled the items out of the bags and carried  it  to the drop off box and gave them away. No arguments,no refusals, they jut did it. I was so proud of them. It makes me feel good, knowing that even at 3  and 5 my girls know the importance of helping those less fortunate. 

mp3mom
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:49 AM

I feel better giving... I did it my whole life; it was superfluous they were paying~ I didn't see that part. My job was making them happy. I did it every day for 29 years.

Alyson121
by Alyson on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:34 AM

aawwwww . . .that was soooo sweet.  Doesn't it make you feel proud as a mom to know your raising such wonderfully aware children?   Good job to you mama!

Quoting reneawesley:

Interesting. We always adopt angels and donate toys and I do feel good about it. On Saturday, the marines were collecting for toys for tots at the mall. We had to go to the Disney store and picked up a couple of toys. These were things that both girls would normally beg to have. As soon as we left the store, both girls pulled the items out of the bags and carried  it  to the drop off box and gave them away. No arguments,no refusals, they jut did it. I was so proud of them. It makes me feel good, knowing that even at 3  and 5 my girls know the importance of helping those less fortunate. 

Alyson121
by Alyson on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:35 AM

I do too ;-)

Quoting mp3mom:

I feel better giving... I did it my whole life; it was superfluous they were paying~ I didn't see that part. My job was making them happy. I did it every day for 29 years.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:27 AM
1 mom liked this

I love to give to others!  We have adopted a special family for Christmas:)  

SabrinaLC
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:56 AM
1 mom liked this

I love giving!

Krysden
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Not surprised

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)