Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Coming off birth control...

Posted by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 6:06 AM
  • 20 Replies

Okay ladies...need some advice or just your thoughts...

I finished up my last month of birth control (pill-trilevelen) just about a month ago give or take a few days.  My husband got a vasectemy back in June, so no more BC for me!  LOL!

I've been on birth control for my entire marriage...almost 11 years...with the exception of 4 months when we were TTC my son and then the first 8 months of his life when I was breastfeeding/pumping.  Needless to say, been on it a while!  Now that I'm off of it, my PMS is horrible...or it seems that way...my breasts are more sore than ever...they were never really sore before...I'm tired and moody, and extremely bloated.  I'm assuming this is all due to my body trying to regulate the hormones now that I'm off birth control?  I've already had a period since coming off the birth control, but I didn't really track it so I will make sure to do that next time it comes so that I know what to expect and when to expect it.

Any thoughts?  Feel free to share your experience if you can relate:)

by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 6:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cleanaturalady
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 8:21 AM

I have always had horrible mood swings with PMS and have really never found anything that alleviates it completely.  Not very encouraging, I know, but tracking your cycle(moods/symptoms) on a calendar is a good idea, so at least you know if you are moody, it's because of hormones, so you can cut yourself some slack and try to get more rest during that time. 

alc4evermom
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 8:22 AM

You're body is probably so used to the extra hormones that it will take time to readjust.  11 years is a long time!  It may be similiar to detoxing from drugs.  I remember coming off of the patch---hadn't been using it that long but I was really super bloated.  Drink a lot of water!  If your emotions become dangerous call a helpline---yeah I've done that lol--- I think that's the most important thing and always tell your doctor.  

SabrinaLC
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:22 AM

I have the worst mood swings, I am almost an entirely different person.

Drinking lots of water everyday really does help with the bloating.

reneawesley
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 10:12 AM
Sounds liked your body has to regulate itself after that amount of time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EthansMomma2010
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 11:51 AM

as someone mentioned it's basically a detox. women who ttc can take over a year to regulate so you may have to expect the same.

musicpisces
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 12:21 PM

I agree, it might take a few cycles to get back on track.  The major shift in hormones can throw your body into shock.

I was on the pill for years until I switched pills, then got pregnant on that, so I went off, then miscarried, and didn't start back up on them.  I've dealt with endometriosis for years and years, so it was hard to gauge what was pill-withdrawal-related and what was just "my" normal.  I was all over the board, cramps, bleeding, etc, but that was normal for me before the pill.

I would imagine things will level out with time.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

chrisnjoesmom
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 2:18 PM
The older I get, the worse I have those problems. I never had breast pain before periods when I was younger, now it's really bad. Same w pms. Sorry. It could be how it is now for you or your hormones could still be adjusting. If u have a smartphone there is an app called hormone horoscope it's not a horoscope though u put in first day of period and it tells you hormonally what is going on. It's awesome.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chrisnjoesmom
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 2:19 PM
Also make sure you are getting enough calcium and b vitamins being low can trigger pms.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rockinmomto2
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 2:21 PM

I was on the pill for about 4 months this year (we had been practicing nfp), and I had enough of it. When I came off of it, I had my period, then I had another period about two weeks later. My breasts were slightly more tender when I had my next full period about 4 1/2 weeks after that. Everyone reacts to the pill and coming off of it differently. It's been about two and a half months now, and I feel a lot better. It was actually easier to get through my period than it was when I was on the pill.

notjstanothrmom
by Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 2:23 PM
It's probably regulating. I've never been on birth control before aside from a month or two in high school but my friend had been on and off and she had mentioned the changes when she's off it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)