Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Crazy Christmas

Posted by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 12:20 PM
  • 12 Replies

We had the craziest Christmas yesterday. The forecast had called for a "wintery mix", 20% chance, but we didn't think it would actually happen, since it was 45 degrees that morning. Lo and behold, as we made our way to my parents house 70 miles away, it started to snow. We were totally unprepared for it - the kids had either hoodies or no jackets at all on. The snow was blowing like 15-20 mph, which I personally haven't experienced much in my life in Texas. No one played out in it much because, like I said - no coats, gloves, hats, etc. Just taking the dogs out was excruciating enough. We had our celebration with my folks and then headed home at about 7:00. 

We had gotten no more than 15 miles away when traffic came to a full and complete stop. We feared a major accident had occurred as we literally moved at a snail's pace for almost an hour. Turns out it was just an inclined bridge in downtown Fort Worth that had the whole thing snarled, with people all trying to move to the middle lane because you couldn't get much traction on the two outside lanes, the more things slowed, the harder it made attempting to make it up that hill because you couldn't get to a slow steady pace. The poor woman in front of us was in an unweighted rearwheel drive truck and was sliding sideways and back as she attempted to get up the incline. She got out and asked if we had any ideas on how to get it going, but we were afraid to push her and end up with a worse mess, since our van is basically a rearhweel drive truck, just easier to drive because it's all weighted down evenly. We offered to call roadside assistance for her, but she said no, she would do it herself. I felt so bad leaving her behind, as we finally were able to maneuver up the hill.

It wasn't too bad after that, besides the constant complaining of the teens in the car. Oh, did I mention I was riding on the floor of the fan? Yea, such a safe way to ride, I know, but the back middle seatbelt is broken anyway, so it wouldn't have been any more safe in the seat. I got on the floor because Reid was constantly getting annoyed every time my knee happened to touch his leg, and griping because he was squished.

Anyway, a trip that takes 1.5 hours tops normally took over 3 hours. I have never been so glad to be home in my life. Today I am sore and tired and just plain, blech.

My dad's barn/workshop sure did look pretty with the snow falling though.

by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 12:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SabrinaLC
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Glad you made it home!

We were surprised by the snow on Christmas Eve!  It started on the drive to my grandma's house.   A mix of snow and freezing rain while we were there.  The drive is normally about an hour but it took us over 2 hours to get home.  We past a few accidents and slid a few times.  What a mess!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 27, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Glad you guys made it out of that storm okay!  We had nothing but cold and wet weather here, but no snow!

reneawesley
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 5:37 PM
We were also shocked by it. It looked like a snow globe when were driving. It was so cold and windy. We ended leaving our families earlier than normal because we were unsure about the roads.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mypbandj
by Jen on Dec. 27, 2012 at 9:17 PM
Oh I know how that felt! We've been in a similar situation. One year we were leaving my dads house after Christmas and had no clue we were driving right into a major winter storm! What usually takes us 6 hours, took us 12!! First we were at a dead stop on the highway due to ice. Then the snow started and since it was dark too, we literally could not see the road! We tried stopping at a hotel but everyone that allowed dogs, was full. We had two weenie dogs with us that couldn't just sleep in the car. We finally found a hotel but when we got there, we were the only guests and it seriously freaked me out. It felt like the Bates Motel! So we just left and drove like 20 miles per hour from Iowa to Kansas! I have never been so happy to arrive home as I was that night.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cleanaturalady
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Ugh. Those trips are not fun.  We had our dogs with us too, but they were crated and sleeping the whole time.  Thank goodness. 

Quoting mypbandj:

Oh I know how that felt! We've been in a similar situation. One year we were leaving my dads house after Christmas and had no clue we were driving right into a major winter storm! What usually takes us 6 hours, took us 12!! First we were at a dead stop on the highway due to ice. Then the snow started and since it was dark too, we literally could not see the road! We tried stopping at a hotel but everyone that allowed dogs, was full. We had two weenie dogs with us that couldn't just sleep in the car. We finally found a hotel but when we got there, we were the only guests and it seriously freaked me out. It felt like the Bates Motel! So we just left and drove like 20 miles per hour from Iowa to Kansas! I have never been so happy to arrive home as I was that night.

cleanaturalady
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Where do you live?  Here in Texas, you never can tell whether a forecast of snow/winter mix is actually going to pan out.  It hasn't snowed on Christmas day since 2009 an before that it had been decades. 

Quoting reneawesley:

We were also shocked by it. It looked like a snow globe when were driving. It was so cold and windy. We ended leaving our families earlier than normal because we were unsure about the roads.

mp3mom
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 5:35 PM

That's beautiful!

cleanaturalady
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:15 PM

It is, isn't it.  I actually love that picture for so many reasons. 

Quoting mp3mom:

That's beautiful!

janitablue
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Amazing I am glad you made home safe and sound. The barn is beautiful.

reneawesley
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:56 AM
Yes in Dfw area.

Quoting cleanaturalady:

Where do you live?  Here in Texas, you never can tell whether a forecast of snow/winter mix is actually going to pan out.  It hasn't snowed on Christmas day since 2009 an before that it had been decades. 

Quoting reneawesley:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN