Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I want something like one of these. I'm looking for advice....

where is the best place to buy them? (best price?) do they ever go on sale? Are they worth it? Is there a better option? 

by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 1:36 PM
Replies (11-20):
Shopsha0911
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 7:10 AM
I have a Kitchenaid Pro it can whip through any dough you have. My last mixer was a sunbeam that I had for 23 years, it was serviceable but did not like stiff dough the motor would grind horribly. Because I replaced my mixer with the kitchen aide last year and it works so well I replaced my little Oscar with a full kitchen aide food processor this year. What a treat to have big girl appliances!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
suetoo
by Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 8:42 AM

I love my stand mixer, but got it 5 yrs ago instead of the food processor i really wanted. My dh and dds chipped in and got me a Kitchenaid 13 c food processor for Christmas. Kitchenaid reviews looked better to me than Cuisinart, and the prices are finally competitive. I think the different blade options for mixing and making dough will make my stand mixer obsolete in my little kitchen, I have a new shelf spot and will keep the processor out. Pickles and pizza dough here I come. :-)

Basherte
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:47 AM

I want one of these as well. The Chef that taught me in school is on the fence. He likes cuisinart, but says that you can get something of equal value for cheaper elsewhere, but I don't remember the name of the one he was talking about.

I don't remember if it was kitchenaide or another brand. But kitchenaide sounds familiar to me.

I just can't afford it.

rockinmomto2
by Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:51 AM

OMG. I've had mine for...2 years now. BEST INVESTMENT EVER. I spent around $240 on mine at Costco (originally $299). It has a 5 1/2 quart bowl, and I use it for everything. I just learned that you can use it to shred chicken. It's really the most fantastic thing on the planet. They have the 4 quart ones at Target and Wal Mart for $199, you can find better colors on their website though (and they're still $199). Mine gets used at the minimum once a week, and it's in PERFECT condition after 2 years of that kind of use.

MissGore
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this

i love swiss meringue buttercream! i was vacationing in japan and really wanted to top a cheesecake with lemon swiss buttercream, i spent 40 minutes working on it with a fork, and it was the most delicious thing i'd ever eaten! of course, my arm was so tired from making it by hand i could barely feed myself.

Quoting jenerica.:

I bought the cheapest/smallest model (on sale at Macy's for a little over a $100).  It lasted just a little over a year before it just stopped working.  I don't know what is wrong with it.  But honestly, I prefer to use my cheap-o hand mixer.  The kitchen aid is so bulky and the mixing utensils don't reach all the way to the bottom of the bowl, and it's such a hassle to stop the machine, raise it up, remove the bowl, scrape the sides and bottom, then start it back up.  I'd rather just use my hand mixer.  Lol!  But to each their own!  I will say that the kitchen aid comes in handy when mixing dough or thicker recipes like marshmallow fondant.  Oh, and there's no better way to mix swiss meringue buttercream.  So I will probably invest in another one or get the one I have repaired.

cleanaturalady
by Kim on Dec. 30, 2012 at 2:28 PM

I had the same experience.  My Sunbeam didn't last that long, because my daughter broke it off the stand accidentally, but then I got the Kitchenaid and boy do I love it. 

Quoting Shopsha0911:

I have a Kitchenaid Pro it can whip through any dough you have. My last mixer was a sunbeam that I had for 23 years, it was serviceable but did not like stiff dough the motor would grind horribly. Because I replaced my mixer with the kitchen aide last year and it works so well I replaced my little Oscar with a full kitchen aide food processor this year. What a treat to have big girl appliances!

MockingJay
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Yes, the are worth the price. I got mine, 450 watt,on clearance for $150 new. It's pink, which I don't like much, but it as the best price. I just decided what I wanted, and kept my eyes open. yes they do come on sale. If you ahve a khols card, that would be good. I get 30% off all the times, and with the $10 back for every $50 you spend, a kitchenaid mixer would be a good buy there. 

Schleetle
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 5:08 PM
1 mom liked this
I have one. I rarely use it. I hand mix everything I bake, I think it ruins my dough JMO - i could be stuck in my ways idk. It works for frosting, sweet potatoes stuff like that, but usually I still prefer to hand mix. I got it as a gift, but I would not spend money on buying one new. I cook from scratch pretty much everyday, and use the kitchen aid maybe 5 times a year.
CrazedMomof2
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Quoting darbyakeep45:

I've never had one as I'm not a baker...bump!

I'm not a baker either but I LOVE mine!

LisaSmock
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 8:48 PM
Check you mail for a 20% off bed bath & beyond
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)