Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Emily Jewel is Here!!

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:09 PM
  • 19 Replies

Well, I had been scheduled to induce labor on December 31, 2012. Up until the date, we were still trying to "naturally" induce labor, though. It didn't work. So, December 30th, we went to bed. And I tossed, and turned, and tossed some more. Needless to say, I didn't really sleep. 

So, at 5am, Monday morning, my husband and I woke up and got ready. Most stuff was already packed with the exception of a few last minute items. My mother had Alexis, and my youngest brother watched Xander and Conner for the day. Cody and I stopped by the gas station so he could get a drink and a bite to eat and were headed to the hospital by 6:15. We arrived and checked in at 6:40 and were immediately taken back to the room. 

A little after 7, our nurse came in to do paperwork. He was nice, friendly, and eased some of my anxiety, at least for the time. Then I dressed down and waited. He came back and my IV was started right around 8. I hate IV's and needles but despite that, he managed to make it in the first try. This is unheard of for me. It usually takes 2-4 tries to get an IV to work on me. Then they started the pitocin. It's a waiting game. 

My contractions were 3-4 minutes apart before I went ahead and decided to get the epidural. Again, needles. And I couldn't move. And the nurse followed through and got me through with flying colors again. I couldn't bend forward and bow my back right, so he kind of held on to the back of my neck and eased me forward just enough to where it would be correct and kept me there until the procedure was over. Nothing forced, mind you.....but it helped me maintain my self control through the procedure. Epidural was completed at around 10:20am.

This is where it became a bit dicey. The epidural made my blood pressure drop drastically. I don't have super high blood pressure to begin with. But it dropped so low that they ended up giving me a couple of doses of a drug to raise my blood pressure and keep it above that mark. It took a little bit but I stabilized. 

We thought the Doctor would be in around lunch to break my water, but no. She showed up around 2 or so and broke my water. Then they flipped me on to my side for a bit, then the other side. At some point in all of this, I started really feeling the contractions again. By 3:00, they were painful. So the Anesthesiologist came in and gave me a "Delivery Booster" to my epidural. They finished getting set up and I started pushing at about 3:45. It took about 4 sets of contractions for me to remember how I was supposed to do this. Finally, around 4, I figured it out and at 4:05 pm, Emily Jewel was born. My mother cut the umbilical cord. And I had no tears. 

She weighed 7 pounds and 5 ounces and was 20.25 inches long. They got her measurements, bundled her up, and immediately handed her to me. And we cuddled. Alexis got to see her that day. I don't think she realizes that she will be coming home. 

It took a while for us to get a room. That's ok, though. That "booster" dose for the epidural took forever to wear off. I ended up getting a straight catheter to drain my bladder after delivery. And even then, after I was finally able to get up and walk to the bathroom, I almost filled the little hat they put in the toilet to 

The stay at the hospital was good. The only thing that my nurse let me down on was how to get food after I had the baby and by the time he remembered, it was too late. But honestly, we already had a plan in place so it wasn't a huge deal. We did end up sending her to the nursery for the first night. And even then, I didn't get any sleep. Cody's asthma flared up bad and he spent the entire night snoring, which kept me awake. He ended up going to the ER there at the hospital the next day and they gave him a cortizone shot and a couple of prescriptions. 

Last night, we kept Emily in the room with us. So again, no real sleep for me. So this morning, I lay down on the bed with her and we cuddled.....and I slept. And not a single nurse griped at me for co-sleeping. Will this be a habit? Nope, but I needed it then. Otherwise I wouldn't have been able to make it through the rest of today. 

And now, it's 8pm, and Cody and I are both beyond ready for bed. She just went to sleep, although I'm not sure how long that will last. Brothers and sister come home tomorrow, as well as various family members making an appearance. And the house is a mess. But that's ok, if I can't sleep, I know what I'll be doing. 

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:53 PM

its a girl

Congratulations! I remember those first few weeks with a newborn. No sleep at all! I can remember being up with the baby and before I knew it, it was like 4:30 am! I had stayed up all night!! Thank goodness I had dh who was ready and willing to take over so I could crash for awhile.

Take care of yourself momma! Try to enjoy this newborn period. Its goes by way too fast.

by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 5:44 AM

CONGRATS!!!!! And welcome Emily!

by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 5:50 AM

Hugs mama!  Congrats!

by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Congrats!! She's beautiful.

by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:55 AM

She is so beautiful! Congratualations.

by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 12:12 PM


by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Aww congrats!

by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 2:06 PM


by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Congrats on your beautiful little girl!

by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Congrats!!!  Precious!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN