Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Working out with little ones

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:38 AM
  • 11 Replies

Is it feasible to try to work out with 2 little ones awake and with dh and I? We have a gym in our basement and the only time we have to work out is when they are awake.  Due to our schedules, we have to workout together to get it done. How can I occupy my 4 year old and 18 month old while dh and I get a 45 minute workout in?  How can I spend less time on making a healthy dinner so we don't have to spend an hour post-workout cooking and getting ready to eat? 

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaMandee
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Is there room for (or do you have) a play space for them down there? As for the dinner can you get some prep done earlier in the day or maybe the night before when the kids are in bed. 

mich.el.le
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Quoting MamaMandee:

Is there room for (or do you have) a play space for them down there? As for the dinner can you get some prep done earlier in the day or maybe the night before when the kids are in bed. 

There is space for them to play, but I don't have a way to block it off so they'll stay out from under our feet.  
I need some different meal ideas, I think.  Most of the meals I make I usually cook right then. I suppose I could just reheat the rice when we have rice, and stuff like that.  Idk.... 

natesmom1228
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:53 PM

You could use a crock pot for dinners. I am going to make boneless skinless chicken breasts in mine tomorrow. I am probably going to make an italian style chicken. Crock pots are great for making healthy meals that cook all day.

As far as working out while the kids are around, is there a way to maybe put in a video that they like. I am not a huge fan of using TV as a distraction ,but in this case I would.

countrygirlkat
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Maybe you can look for workouts you can do with them such as dance workouts.  As far as the food you can try to do crock pot meals or you can prep meals ahead of time like on a weekend that are easy to cook on a weekday. 

mich.el.le
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Quoting countrygirlkat:

Maybe you can look for workouts you can do with them such as dance workouts.  As far as the food you can try to do crock pot meals or you can prep meals ahead of time like on a weekend that are easy to cook on a weekday. 

Dance workouts and other dvd's like that aren't going to get me the workout I want.

Threes.Company
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Crock pot cooking can help.  You can prep it while your little one is napping. 

I am not sure on the workout part.  I work out at a gym with childcare.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:40 PM

How about getting up before they do in the morning or working out after they go to bed?  Is that an option?

mich.el.le
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Quoting darbyakeep45:

How about getting up before they do in the morning or working out after they go to bed?  Is that an option?

No. Younger ds gets up when I do, no matter what time I get up. lol  After they go to bed, I am always exhausted and dh needs to go to bed since he gets up at 4 a.m.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Well I'm not sure what to tell you then...seems like every idea given, you state you aren't able to do that for whatever reason...sorry!

Quoting mich.el.le:

Quoting darbyakeep45:

No. Younger ds gets up when I do, no matter what time I get up. lol  After they go to bed, I am always exhausted and dh needs to go to bed since he gets up at 4 a.m.

mp3mom
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 4:31 PM
2 moms liked this

Can you give your 4 yr old a craft, book, or movie which could be watched with your 18 mo old in the playpen? I'd set up your dinner before workout. For instance, you could put a chicken in the oven with potatoes; it would be finished when you are, then just make a salad or saute some veg. You could always do a cook day where you make meals for the week, or when you do cook, make more than one meal and freeze the others. Good luck. I also found this:

http://www.livestrong.com/search/?mode=standard&search=working+out+with+small+children+at+home

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)