Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

How they exercised their babies in the old days

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 4:54 PM
Jen
  • 16 Replies

Emma Read was issued a United States Patent in 1923 for her design of The Portable Baby Cage. Read the original patent application with drawings HERE.

“They were designed in a more innocent age and with the best of intentions. These incredible pictures taken in the 1930s show babies suspended high up in flats from their parents’ window. Sitting in open mesh cages, the youngsters were completely exposed to the elements outside. Incredibly, the then East Poplar borough council in London proposed to fix the cages to the outside of some of their buildings so that babies could benefit from fresh air and sunshine. The cages were also distributed to members of the Chelsea Baby Club who lived in high buildings and had no gardens. The benefits were said to be fresh air for the child, room to play with toys and another place for children to sleep. The cages were also designed with a slanted, overlapping roof which was said to protect babies from snow or rain.” [Source: The Oddment Emporium]

SOURCE

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 4:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mp3mom
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Interesting.

jenerica.
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 5:51 PM
1 mom liked this

1930s?!  My kid is in one of those RIGHT NOW.  Cheaper than daycare and all that.  :P

CharMom23
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 5:56 PM
Oh wow. I don't like it hanging out the window
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mompatrol
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:21 PM
Wow, I would have never known about this. Their intentions are understandable, but nope I wouldnt do it...be too scared the baby would fall.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
4kidz916
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:24 PM

That looks scary. 

timon95
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:57 PM

i have seen this before. i would be afraid the baby would fall

lalasmama2007
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Wow!  It's making me nervous just looking at these pics!

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:19 AM

yikes

SabrinaLC
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:17 AM

At leat the kid is getting fresh air.

As the designer I would assume that she made it strong enough that it's not going to fall.  I think it's interesting.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:33 AM

First of all, I don't get how this is "exercising the babies"...it's essentially putting them in a pack and play except they are hanging outside of a window x amount of feet in the air.  SO dangerous and plain stupid in my personal opinion!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)