Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

30 Free foods

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:20 PM
  • 10 Replies

Don't agree with the list 100% but there are some good ideas.  What foods do you consider "free?"

30 "free" foods that don't raise your blood sugar 
Eating right to manage your blood sugar is no small feat. When you have diabetes, you have to pay attention to portion control and carbohydrates every time you eat, and when watching your fat and sodium intake, you may feel like the list of foods you "can't" eat is endless! But don't forget that there are plenty of foods that you can eat without worry, often called "free foods," because they tend not to raise blood sugar levels and can be used to help fill in your meal plan with little worry about their blood sugar affects. Examples of these foods include

1. Non-starchy vegetables, including asparagus, green and wax beans, beets, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, celery, cucumbers, eggplant, greens, lettuce, onions, pea pods, peppers, radishes, spinach, tomatoes, turnips, and zucchini. These tend to be better choices for diabetics than starchy vegetables such as corn and potatoes.

2. Low-carb foods like club soda, artificially sweetened coffee and tea, diet soda, sugar-free gelatin, seasonings, sugar substitutes and non-dairy creamer have few carbohydrates and calories and are usually considered "free" foods that you do not have to count in your meal plan. 

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Amanda52007
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:26 PM
I've ever heard of the whole "free food" concept. So I'm not sure...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:40 PM

I've actually never heard of this either...interesting!  All about the veggies though:)

SabrinaLC
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:55 PM

The first list looks alright but the second... that's a big no.

mp3mom
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Thanks!

cleanaturalady
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Is that the list from Weight Watchers?  I think they have a list of free foods that don't count for your totally points for the day. 

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:55 PM
I agree

Quoting SabrinaLC:

The first list looks alright but the second... that's a big no.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
e-doolittle
by Kelly on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:55 PM
Carrots actually make my blood sugar spike
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 11, 2013 at 6:49 AM

WW "free" foods are all veggies and fruits.

Quoting cleanaturalady:

Is that the list from Weight Watchers?  I think they have a list of free foods that don't count for your totally points for the day. 

mypbandj
by Jen on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:41 AM
Interesting
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cmorris1200
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:16 PM

I have problems with the artificial sweetners because most of them cause more health problems.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN