Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

running for weightloss tips wanted

Posted by   + Show Post
Im not a fan of running, but have been told it is best for calorie burning. My shins hurt when I run which turns me away from it more. Any tips or suggestions before spring begins, so should be running.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 9:58 AM
Replies (11-17):
Amanda52007
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:48 PM

A midfood strike. I feel like I'm throwing down my feet when I do that, almost clobbering. If that makes any sense. I'm gonna have to google, because I'm thinking I'm doing it wrong.

Ok, I just youtube'd it. I was way off. lol So nevermind! I think I have it now.

Quoting musicpisces:

If you're getting shin splints (likely what you're experiencing), there are a few things you can do (work on ALL of them):

Get better shoes.  Get to a running store ASAP and get into the right shoes for you.

Work on a midfoot strike.  I'm guessing you're heel striking, which puts a TON of pressure on your knees and hips, and you're using your tibialis anterior (the muscle on the front of your shin) to pull your foot up more than necessary while impacting it, which inflames the muscle big time, and it makes the muscle pull away from the bone, which is why it hurts like hell.

Work on a quicker, shorter stride.  Many people overstride, which often goes with heel striking (though not always).  Aim for 180 steps per minute.

I had HORRIBLE shin splints for the longest time, then I did these things, and I haven't had them since.

Also, when I started running, like you, I HATED it, but I knew it would help me lose the weight.  I was 250 lbs at the time.  Now I'm in the 160s, and I LOVE running!  Stick with it, give it time (it literally took me months to enjoy it).  You'll get there!  =)

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:36 AM

Fantastic advice!

Quoting cmorris1200:

Just remember you are going to do an exercise that you really enjoy.  If you don't like it then it is easier to find excuses.  I have tried running but haven't been able to stick with it.  I started skating last Wednesday and have already been 4 times and plan to go tomorrow and the next day.

CrazedMomof2
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:14 AM
Good luck! I'm a runner and just kinda eased into it starting slow.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alysson99
by Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Old or the wrong shoes can cause shin splints, as well as starting out too fast. You really have to ease your body into it, starting out slowly and short distances, and then slowly building up. It does become enjoyable, but not when you are in pain. If you haven't really run at all before, try something like the couch to 5k program, otherwise, just listen to your body and don't overdo it.

musicpisces
by *Suzanne* on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Okay, good!  I was going to say to check out YouTube!  =)

Runnersworld.com has great articles about running form as well (and of course almost everything else related to running!!).  I'd check it out when you have some time!

Quoting Amanda52007:

A midfood strike. I feel like I'm throwing down my feet when I do that, almost clobbering. If that makes any sense. I'm gonna have to google, because I'm thinking I'm doing it wrong.

Ok, I just youtube'd it. I was way off. lol So nevermind! I think I have it now.

Quoting musicpisces:

If you're getting shin splints (likely what you're experiencing), there are a few things you can do (work on ALL of them):

Get better shoes.  Get to a running store ASAP and get into the right shoes for you.

Work on a midfoot strike.  I'm guessing you're heel striking, which puts a TON of pressure on your knees and hips, and you're using your tibialis anterior (the muscle on the front of your shin) to pull your foot up more than necessary while impacting it, which inflames the muscle big time, and it makes the muscle pull away from the bone, which is why it hurts like hell.

Work on a quicker, shorter stride.  Many people overstride, which often goes with heel striking (though not always).  Aim for 180 steps per minute.

I had HORRIBLE shin splints for the longest time, then I did these things, and I haven't had them since.

Also, when I started running, like you, I HATED it, but I knew it would help me lose the weight.  I was 250 lbs at the time.  Now I'm in the 160s, and I LOVE running!  Stick with it, give it time (it literally took me months to enjoy it).  You'll get there!  =)

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

mp3mom
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:36 PM

I hope this helps :)

Quoting mp3mom:

Hi, I found this: 

http://www.livestrong.com/search/?mode=standard&search=running

Good luck!

Quoting cowgirls10181:

Im not a fan of running, but have been told it is best for calorie burning. My shins hurt when I run which turns me away from it more. Any tips or suggestions before spring begins, so should be running.

cleanaturalady
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Sounds like sound advice. 

Quoting musicpisces:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)