Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Dry...whhhaaaat?

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 6:02 PM
  • 22 Replies

I'm making a new recipe this week that calls for 1 ounce packet of dry au jus mix.

....? I've never had it, I've never bought it, and I'm confused...

Do you know where I would find it? Spices? Soup? I dunno! Help!

by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 6:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mypbandj
by Jen on Jan. 13, 2013 at 6:21 PM
Sorry, no clue!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
o0gone0o
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 6:23 PM
1 mom liked this

its near all the seasoning packets like for chili, taco mix, meatloaf so forth.   Look around there you should find it if your store carries it.

saraface5383
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 6:24 PM
Its a sauce, you typically dip a hot sandwich in it. Itll be on the aisle that carries the McComack packet spices.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Amanda52007
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 6:26 PM

AWESOME, thanks! My husband explained it to me, by saying its the sauce that comes with the french onion sub at Arbys. haha I didn't know you could buy the mix though.

Motherhento10
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 6:26 PM

au jus is basically a "beef broth" or the beef "juice" after you cook off a roast. Aparently, they are asking you to use a powdered version of it. Sounds like it would be high in sodium & could likely have a preservative or dye in it. I am not sure what you are making, but if I had an idea, I might be able to suggest a few substitutions. 

Amanda52007
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 6:28 PM

I'm making a slow cooker salisbury steak. This is it.

I welcome all suggestions! 

Quoting Motherhento10:

au jus is basically a "beef broth" or the beef "juice" after you cook off a roast. Aparently, they are asking you to use a powdered version of it. Sounds like it would be high in sodium & could likely have a preservative or dye in it. I am not sure what you are making, but if I had an idea, I might be able to suggest a few substitutions. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 13, 2013 at 6:58 PM

I didn't realize you could buy it dry...interesting!  Good luck!

Motherhento10
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:39 PM

for that recipe, go ahead & use the powdered au jus mix. There is going to be a lot of sodium in it regardless, because of the soup/mixes- the au jus powder won't make that much of a difference. Plus, it might have a thickening agent which will help with the gravy consistency. I bet you it will smell SCRUMPTIOUS cooking. I LOVE to use my croc pots. What are you going to serve it with?  If you can't find the au jus powder- in this application, you could just use a few beef bouillon cubes & perhaps a tablespoon of flour tossed with the meat.

Amanda52007
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:44 PM

We are having mashed potatoes (from actual potatoes, not boxed) and butter beans (from the garden).

Usually, I like to do a recipe by the book first...and then we change things. I leave stuff out, switch to low fat/fat free, etc. But i like to see what its supposed to taste like. lol

Plus, this is the first time I've ever made salisbury steaks....so I can't really imagine up a recipe that would be decent.

cleanaturalady
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Glad you found your answer.  How was your dinner?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN