Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Beans

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:02 PM
  • 15 Replies
We are starting to eat a lot of beans. We are finding new recipes with them, so I'm wanting to get the bang for my buck.

One kind is black beans. Usually I get them in can...but I'm interested in the dry variety.

Can I make those and then freeze portions? Ive never cooked dry beans.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
musicpisces
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Yes!  That's exactly what I do.  I use my food scale, and weigh them out in 8 and 16 ounce portions.  16 oz is about what a can is.  I don't add any salt, and I only season them when I'm actually using them.

Using dry will save you a ton of money, and of course, beans are SO great and versatile!

I'm going to make some hummus tomorrow, I think, with garbanzo beans I made awhile back.  Nom nom!!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

CrazedMomof2
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:05 AM
I don't care for beans.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Proud2BWeird
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:26 AM
Yes, freeze them after cooking. They turn out great!

Cook them without salt, at least until they're almost tender. Cooking them with salt cans result in tough skins.

We love beans!
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 15, 2013 at 5:25 AM

I've never done that before...Suzanne has some good ideas though:)

bhwrn1
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 7:02 AM

Sure can. I have a lot of dried beans. Mostly I use them for soup. Otherwise you have to hydrate them and use them.

Amanda52007
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 7:53 AM
Thanks ladies! I'm going to try it.
mypbandj
by Jen on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:28 AM
Tell me how you hydrate your dry beans. I've only ever used canned. But blackbeans are awesome. I like to make blackbean pizza and lasanga.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mypbandj
by Jen on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:28 AM
How do you make hummus?

Quoting musicpisces:

Yes!  That's exactly what I do.  I use my food scale, and weigh them out in 8 and 16 ounce portions.  16 oz is about what a can is.  I don't add any salt, and I only season them when I'm actually using them.

Using dry will save you a ton of money, and of course, beans are SO great and versatile!

I'm going to make some hummus tomorrow, I think, with garbanzo beans I made awhile back.  Nom nom!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
musicpisces
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:16 AM

This is the recipe I'll be using.  I don't usually bother with tahini, but you can if you want to.

Quoting mypbandj:

How do you make hummus?

Quoting musicpisces:

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

mypbandj
by Jen on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Thanks! I am going to try it, minus the tahina. I don't even know what that is!! LOL

Quoting musicpisces:

This is the recipe I'll be using.  I don't usually bother with tahini, but you can if you want to.

Quoting mypbandj:

How do you make hummus?

Quoting musicpisces:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN