Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Obesity is YOUR fault!

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 7:51 PM
  • 42 Replies

. . .says the new Coke ad.

Coca-Cola: Obesity Is Your Fault, Not Ours!

Jan 15 2013

zero calorie soda

photo credit: Laura Lewis

By Blake Buford

Coca-Cola just launched a multi-million dollar PR campaign to convince Americans that soft drinks have nothing to do with the nation’s obesity epidemic.

In a new commercial airing nationwide, a reassuring voice tells viewers that Coke now places calorie counts on drinks, offers smaller sizes, and features more “diet” options than ever.

But the ad never mentions the pile of evidence directly linking soft drinks to obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and other major health issues. It also ignores studies that show people who drink diet soda have an even greater chance of becoming overweight than regular soda drinkers, and data that links artificial sweeteners like aspartame to cancer. But most impressively, the narrator manages to tap dance through the two-minute ad without saying the word “sugar” or mentioning the company’s favorite ingredient: high-fructose corn syrup.

At the end of the ad, the narrator says, “The well-being of our families and communities concerns everyone, and finding a solution will take continued effort from all of us. But at Coca-Cola, we know when people come together, we can make a real difference.”

The company knows that is true from experience. The full commercial is below. Enjoy!

by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 7:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SabrinaLC
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:40 PM

I mean, they aren't totally wrong in a way but... if you drink soda and are obese then I guess that's part of it too.

Mom2Phoenix2011
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:48 PM
3 moms liked this
They are right. We as people have the choice as to what we drink. They do not force us to purchase their products. They do not force us to drink a whole six pack or two liter bottle in a day. People need to stop blaming their weight issues on products and start blaming themselves for their over indulging. This coming from a person with weight issues who stopped drinking soda.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Krysden
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:30 PM

On a positive coca cola note... I just read something earlier that said Coke is effective in helping stomach blockage.  

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Totallly agree here.  We make the choices for what we put in our mouth...simple as that.

Quoting Mom2Phoenix2011:

They are right. We as people have the choice as to what we drink. They do not force us to purchase their products. They do not force us to drink a whole six pack or two liter bottle in a day. People need to stop blaming their weight issues on products and start blaming themselves for their over indulging. This coming from a person with weight issues who stopped drinking soda.

jhslove
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:16 AM

Yup.

Quoting Mom2Phoenix2011:

Amanda52007
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:37 AM
I agree with Mom2Phoenix.

Obesity is NOT Cokes fault.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Blue_Spiral
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:40 AM
3 moms liked this

LOL

Yeah, we need to blame and humiliate people, not hold food manufactorers accountable for producing and both blatantly and subliminally lying about their product. That will make everyone thinner.

Great logic. SMH.

cmorris1200
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Agreed with Mom2Phoenix

I have trouble with the diet drinks being in schools because they are part of the problem with obesity.

Blue_Spiral
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:04 AM

I have never felt that soda of any kind, even diet (especially when I learned about aspartame) were something we should EVER be drinking on a regular basis.

I have struggled with weight all my life and never even liked soda.

I'm not trying to make a point with that, just a comment, I guess.

I know many many MANY very thin people, young and old who drink lots of soda, yet I am fat when I have almost no refined sugar of any kind in my diet.

I know this isn't a discussion on what causes fat, but, I do think companies that produce incredibly unhealthy foods and market them as if they are not harmful, should be accountable.

No question.

Liz132
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Temptations are always going to be there, no one is forcing people to drink a gallon of coke a day they can always chose to drink a healthier beverage most coke machines also sell bottled water. I'm not about taking people's choices away even if they make bad ones. Once in a while I even have a coke myself.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN