Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Obesity is YOUR fault!

Posted by   + Show Post

. . .says the new Coke ad.

Coca-Cola: Obesity Is Your Fault, Not Ours!

Jan 15 2013

zero calorie soda

photo credit: Laura Lewis

By Blake Buford

Coca-Cola just launched a multi-million dollar PR campaign to convince Americans that soft drinks have nothing to do with the nation’s obesity epidemic.

In a new commercial airing nationwide, a reassuring voice tells viewers that Coke now places calorie counts on drinks, offers smaller sizes, and features more “diet” options than ever.

But the ad never mentions the pile of evidence directly linking soft drinks to obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and other major health issues. It also ignores studies that show people who drink diet soda have an even greater chance of becoming overweight than regular soda drinkers, and data that links artificial sweeteners like aspartame to cancer. But most impressively, the narrator manages to tap dance through the two-minute ad without saying the word “sugar” or mentioning the company’s favorite ingredient: high-fructose corn syrup.

At the end of the ad, the narrator says, “The well-being of our families and communities concerns everyone, and finding a solution will take continued effort from all of us. But at Coca-Cola, we know when people come together, we can make a real difference.”

The company knows that is true from experience. The full commercial is below. Enjoy!

by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 7:51 PM
Replies (11-20):
LntLckrsCmQut
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Quoting Blue_Spiral:

I have never felt that soda of any kind, even diet (especially when I learned about aspartame) were something we should EVER be drinking on a regular basis.

I have struggled with weight all my life and never even liked soda.

I'm not trying to make a point with that, just a comment, I guess.

I know many many MANY very thin people, young and old who drink lots of soda, yet I am fat when I have almost no refined sugar of any kind in my diet.

I know this isn't a discussion on what causes fat, but, I do think companies that produce incredibly unhealthy foods and market them as if they are not harmful, should be accountable.

No question.

Held accountable for what, exactly? No one is forced to consume soda and soda companies are not going around stating that their products are healthy. People need to quit blaming others for them not being able to say no to soda and not putting the fork down.

jenerica.
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:51 PM

I love coca-cola.  I always have and always will.  Mmmmm...coke. 

Alyson121
by Alyson on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I do blame mega billion dollar manufacturing companies. Those advertising spots do WORK and get people to CONsume without thinking, which is the SOLE intent.  Obviously they must be losing money or why else would they pay for a multi-million dollar ad saying they're NOT to blame?

Not to mention the ingredients are meant to cause addiction.  After watching the Flavorist video on 60 Minutes, i'm not surprised why people CAN'T stop drinking the stuff even though they know it's bad. 

jenerica.
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:53 PM

I don't know...I don't really feel like the ad is pointing fingers at consumers or shucking blame.  I think they're trying to make their place in the hearts of their customers during a time of the year when everyone is swearing off the "bad stuff."  The coca-cola bottling company sells bottled water right next to their sodas.  The pricing is the same, so it's not like they lose money if someone chooses to go for water rather than the coke, (diet or regular).

And picking up what the advertising agencies are laying down without doing any research of your own (or using common sense for that matter) isn't coca-cola's fault.  Anyone who is selling something doesn't go around advertising the health hazards of using their products.  

Can you see it now? 

American Airlines:  For those who would rather take the risk of dying in a plane crash rather than travelling by land.

Feel like booking a flight now?

Alyson121
by Alyson on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:02 PM

My hubby has actually done some ads for Coke, about 20 years ago. I fully understand what you mean about "selling" the GOOD stuff.

Quoting jenerica.:

I don't know...I don't really feel like the ad is pointing fingers at consumers or shucking blame.  I think they're trying to make their place in the hearts of their customers during a time of the year when everyone is swearing off the "bad stuff."  The coca-cola bottling company sells bottled water right next to their sodas.  The pricing is the same, so it's not like they lose money if someone chooses to go for water rather than the coke, (diet or regular).

And picking up what the advertising agencies are laying down without doing any research of your own (or using common sense for that matter) isn't coca-cola's fault.  Anyone who is selling something doesn't go around advertising the health hazards of using their products.  

Can you see it now? 

American Airlines:  For those who would rather take the risk of dying in a plane crash rather than travelling by land.

Feel like booking a flight now?

jenerica.
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Alyson121:

My hubby has actually done some ads for Coke, about 20 years ago. I fully understand what you mean about "selling" the GOOD stuff.

Advertising works, man.  My 4yo has begged me for months to get her a cuddleuppet.  She said she NEEDed it.  I got her one.  She NEVER plays with it.  Then it was the stompeez.  Her grandmother got her 2 pair.  She never wears them.  EVER.  So now when she sees those stupid glowing pillows or the night lights that shines on the ceiling, and she starts in about how she NEEDS it, I remind her that she doesn't use those other items she NEEDed before.

And it isn't just stuff SHE wants.  She saw an ad for ProActive.  She said, "Mom, you need that."  I told her, "MY SKIN IS PERFECT!"  We don't NEED everything that is advertised on television.  Lol!  But she's 4yo, so I cut her some slack. 

Bethsunshine
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:24 PM
Wow, people taking responsibility for their own actions... now THERE'S a novel idea!
mp3mom
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:01 PM
1 mom liked this

To Coke: ***********!

Quoting Alyson121:

. . .says the new Coke ad.

Coca-Cola: Obesity Is Your Fault, Not Ours!

Jan 15 2013

zero calorie soda

photo credit: Laura Lewis

By Blake Buford

Coca-Cola just launched a multi-million dollar PR campaign to convince Americans that soft drinks have nothing to do with the nation’s obesity epidemic.

In a new commercial airing nationwide, a reassuring voice tells viewers that Coke now places calorie counts on drinks, offers smaller sizes, and features more “diet” options than ever.

But the ad never mentions the pile of evidence directly linking soft drinks to obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and other major health issues. It also ignores studies that show people who drink diet soda have an even greater chance of becoming overweight than regular soda drinkers, and data that links artificial sweeteners like aspartame to cancer. But most impressively, the narrator manages to tap dance through the two-minute ad without saying the word “sugar” or mentioning the company’s favorite ingredient: high-fructose corn syrup.

At the end of the ad, the narrator says, “The well-being of our families and communities concerns everyone, and finding a solution will take continued effort from all of us. But at Coca-Cola, we know when people come together, we can make a real difference.”

The company knows that is true from experience. The full commercial is below. Enjoy!

musicpisces
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:41 AM
2 moms liked this

While people are responsible for their own actions, there are SO many mixed messages out there, and a lot of people who don't know any better, honestly.  I FULLY agree that we have a responsibility to ourselves and our children to be educated on what's healthy and what's not, but it's not realistic for a lot of people, especially people for whom nutrition is really confusing.  Few of us have the time to really educate ourselves on EVERYTHING we really SHOULD be educating ourselves on (local law, politics, international affairs, health issues, education, insurance options, too many to count).  People are forced to pick and choose what they can take the time to learn about, or learn about what interests them, and go by what the media tells them from there.  I am always amazed and humbled by how many people I encounter who truly have NO idea where to start when it comes to getting healthy.  They don't know the difference between whole wheat and refined wheat, or why to get peanut butter you have to stir or why zero calorie beverages that are simply a chemical concoction are not a healthy substitute for water.

So while I do agree that the ultimate responsibility lies on each of us to make wise choices, I feel that the culture needs to make some major shifts as well, and that will have to have to include the media to be effective.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

fullxbusymom
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:43 AM

I agree they don't.  People who drink them every single day instead of how they were intended as a once in a while drink as a treat have caused themselves to become obese and more likely their diet in general is a mess too.  Junk food, Fast food, Processed foods.  

Why can no one take accountability for themselves?  Everyone always needs to blame someone else when they screw up?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)