Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Obesity is YOUR fault!

Posted by   + Show Post

. . .says the new Coke ad.

Coca-Cola: Obesity Is Your Fault, Not Ours!

Jan 15 2013

zero calorie soda

photo credit: Laura Lewis

By Blake Buford

Coca-Cola just launched a multi-million dollar PR campaign to convince Americans that soft drinks have nothing to do with the nation’s obesity epidemic.

In a new commercial airing nationwide, a reassuring voice tells viewers that Coke now places calorie counts on drinks, offers smaller sizes, and features more “diet” options than ever.

But the ad never mentions the pile of evidence directly linking soft drinks to obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and other major health issues. It also ignores studies that show people who drink diet soda have an even greater chance of becoming overweight than regular soda drinkers, and data that links artificial sweeteners like aspartame to cancer. But most impressively, the narrator manages to tap dance through the two-minute ad without saying the word “sugar” or mentioning the company’s favorite ingredient: high-fructose corn syrup.

At the end of the ad, the narrator says, “The well-being of our families and communities concerns everyone, and finding a solution will take continued effort from all of us. But at Coca-Cola, we know when people come together, we can make a real difference.”

The company knows that is true from experience. The full commercial is below. Enjoy!

by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 7:51 PM
Replies (21-30):
Beauty91805
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:46 AM
Just because companies make drinks or foods that are unhealthy does not mean that you have to drink/eat them. You contol what you put into your body.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Basherte
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Quoting Mom2Phoenix2011:

They are right. We as people have the choice as to what we drink. They do not force us to purchase their products. They do not force us to drink a whole six pack or two liter bottle in a day. People need to stop blaming their weight issues on products and start blaming themselves for their over indulging. This coming from a person with weight issues who stopped drinking soda.

^I agree. The only time that it isn't the person's fault for being overweight is if they have some medical condition that would make a person gain weight no matter what they eat or don't eat.

Like a thyroid problem.

Otherwise it is our fault for being overweight. 

To be rude about it: it's called put your hands on the table and push away. 

This is coming from a person that is overweight and doesn't blame anything or anyone but herself for it. Although I will now think twice before buying a coke product.

To be honest, coca-cola is right. While drinking their product may help to cause a person to gain weight it isn't the responsibility of the company to make sure that we are healthy. It's to make sure that they make their product as enticing as it can - to make money.

We are the ones that are responsible for what we put into our bodies. We can't blame anyone or anything on what we eat but us. 

I don't see anyone or any company putting a gun to your (general term) head and telling you that you have two choices....eat and drink this all the time or die. 

It's time that we all take responsibility for our own bodies, and not blaming what we choose to put in our bodies, or calling it a 'disease'. 

Mom2Phoenix2011
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Unfortunately we live in a society that can not help themselves but over indulge in everything and when there are repercussions they have to find other people to blame it on or try to make them take responsibility for it. I truly wish people would take responsibility for their choices and actions.

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting Mom2Phoenix2011:

They are right. We as people have the choice as to what we drink. They do not force us to purchase their products. They do not force us to drink a whole six pack or two liter bottle in a day. People need to stop blaming their weight issues on products and start blaming themselves for their over indulging. This coming from a person with weight issues who stopped drinking soda.

^I agree. The only time that it isn't the person's fault for being overweight is if they have some medical condition that would make a person gain weight no matter what they eat or don't eat.

Like a thyroid problem.

This is coming from a person that is overweight and doesn't blame anything or anyone but herself for it. Although I will now think twice before buying a coke product.

To be honest, coca-cola is right. While drinking their product may help to cause a person to gain weight it isn't the responsibility of the company to make sure that we are healthy. It's to make sure that they make their product as enticing as it can - to make money.

We are the ones that are responsible for what we put into our bodies. We can't blame anyone or anything on what we eat but us. 

I don't see anyone or any company putting a gun to your (general term) head and telling you that you have two choices....eat and drink this all the time or die. 

It's time that we all take responsibility for our own bodies, and not blaming what we choose to put in our bodies, or calling it a 'disease'. 

Stevie, I am the proud mom of Phoenix, and the proud wife of Boston My OTR Trucker.  

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:20 AM

I think the Coca Cola company has a point.  Soft drinks are a treat, but people choose to drink them like water.  I found 7-Ups "thirst quenching" campaign far more offensive, b/c it basically was telling people "Hey, I'm just as good as water for thirst, but I taste better!"

Point is, there are a million drink options.  They make a product, but don't force anybody to buy or drink it.  People CHOOSE to drink it in excessive quantities.

Heck, I could get fat if I ate enough celery.  It would be hard to eat enough celery to make me fat, but it's possible.  The idea is a balanced diet with a realistic expectation of treats.

Basherte
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Whether society approves or not, encourages or not, doesn't or shouldn't have anything to do with it.

It's called personal responsibility. 

By not forcing someone to take responsibility for their own actions, we are not helping them, all we are doing is enabling them, allowing them to pass the blame onto us. 

Laziness isn't an excuse either. Nor is poor will power. Because humans have proven that when it is something that they want they have all the willpower that is needed to get it.

stating that : Unfortunately we live in a society that can not help themselves but over indulge in everything and when there are repercussions they have to find other people to blame it on or try to make them take responsibility for it< is just a cop out to not take responsibility.

Since when do parents teach their kids that it is okay to do anything you want, just blame it on someone or something else? Don't we teach our kids that if they do something wrong they should admit it? Then learn from it? 

why is it okay to indulge and over indulge and then blame other people for it? 

can not help themselves???? 

*shakes head* this really doesn't help my belief in humanity.

Quoting Mom2Phoenix2011:

Unfortunately we live in a society that can not help themselves but over indulge in everything and when there are repercussions they have to find other people to blame it on or try to make them take responsibility for it. I truly wish people would take responsibility for their choices and actions.

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting Mom2Phoenix2011:

Like a thyroid problem.

Mom2Phoenix2011
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:06 PM

I agree 100%. I truly worry about where society is going, Due to the lack of taking personal responsibility. It is really disheartening that people are to lazy to look at labels or take the extra step to find out about what the are putting in their bodies that they want the government to step in and take care of it.

Quoting Basherte:

Whether society approves or not, encourages or not, doesn't or shouldn't have anything to do with it.

It's called personal responsibility. 

By not forcing someone to take responsibility for their own actions, we are not helping them, all we are doing is enabling them, allowing them to pass the blame onto us. 

Laziness isn't an excuse either. Nor is poor will power. Because humans have proven that when it is something that they want they have all the willpower that is needed to get it.

stating that : Unfortunately we live in a society that can not help themselves but over indulge in everything and when there are repercussions they have to find other people to blame it on or try to make them take responsibility for it< is just a cop out to not take responsibility.

Since when do parents teach their kids that it is okay to do anything you want, just blame it on someone or something else? Don't we teach our kids that if they do something wrong they should admit it? Then learn from it? 

why is it okay to indulge and over indulge and then blame other people for it? 

can not help themselves???? 

*shakes head* this really doesn't help my belief in humanity.

Quoting Mom2Phoenix2011:

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting Mom2Phoenix2011:

Like a thyroid problem.

Stevie, I am the proud mom of Phoenix, and the proud wife of Boston My OTR Trucker.  

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:17 PM

It's a person's choice to drink it.  

sonshining
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:28 PM

In agreement with other Healthy Moms. Not Coke's fault, anymore than it's McDonald's fault or Twinkies fault.

Alyson121
by Alyson on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Excellent, spot on and very well said.

Quoting musicpisces:

While people are responsible for their own actions, there are SO many mixed messages out there, and a lot of people who don't know any better, honestly.  I FULLY agree that we have a responsibility to ourselves and our children to be educated on what's healthy and what's not, but it's not realistic for a lot of people, especially people for whom nutrition is really confusing.  Few of us have the time to really educate ourselves on EVERYTHING we really SHOULD be educating ourselves on (local law, politics, international affairs, health issues, education, insurance options, too many to count).  People are forced to pick and choose what they can take the time to learn about, or learn about what interests them, and go by what the media tells them from there.  I am always amazed and humbled by how many people I encounter who truly have NO idea where to start when it comes to getting healthy.  They don't know the difference between whole wheat and refined wheat, or why to get peanut butter you have to stir or why zero calorie beverages that are simply a chemical concoction are not a healthy substitute for water.

So while I do agree that the ultimate responsibility lies on each of us to make wise choices, I feel that the culture needs to make some major shifts as well, and that will have to have to include the media to be effective.

cleanaturalady
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:08 PM

I don't doubt it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN