Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Obesity is YOUR fault!

Posted by   + Show Post

. . .says the new Coke ad.

Coca-Cola: Obesity Is Your Fault, Not Ours!

Jan 15 2013

zero calorie soda

photo credit: Laura Lewis

By Blake Buford

Coca-Cola just launched a multi-million dollar PR campaign to convince Americans that soft drinks have nothing to do with the nation’s obesity epidemic.

In a new commercial airing nationwide, a reassuring voice tells viewers that Coke now places calorie counts on drinks, offers smaller sizes, and features more “diet” options than ever.

But the ad never mentions the pile of evidence directly linking soft drinks to obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and other major health issues. It also ignores studies that show people who drink diet soda have an even greater chance of becoming overweight than regular soda drinkers, and data that links artificial sweeteners like aspartame to cancer. But most impressively, the narrator manages to tap dance through the two-minute ad without saying the word “sugar” or mentioning the company’s favorite ingredient: high-fructose corn syrup.

At the end of the ad, the narrator says, “The well-being of our families and communities concerns everyone, and finding a solution will take continued effort from all of us. But at Coca-Cola, we know when people come together, we can make a real difference.”

The company knows that is true from experience. The full commercial is below. Enjoy!

by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 7:51 PM
Replies (31-40):
Basherte
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Although I'm sure for some it would be a relief for the government to step in and tell them what they can and can't eat. Because then that relieves them of any consequences. 

However, I like the idea of all of those choices out there. I like try different things, so having anyone tell me what I can and can't eat would really piss me off. I take responsibility for the fact that I'm overweight. I know it was me that put those donuts in my mouth, and that piece of cake in my mouth, and drank all of those sodas, and teas, and stuff.

I am raising my son to believe that everything in moderation. Including exercise. 

I really don't understand how the parents today aren't teaching their kids this stuff. 

I mean everyone at one point in their lives, says, I'm not going to raise my kids the way I was raised, but how many of us actively try to not do it the way our parents did it? 

I mean if I'm half as good a mother to my son as my mom was towards her kids, I'll feel that I've donea  good job.  We were disciplined, nurtured, praised, encouraged. my parents were strict, but we knew that they loved us and only wanted the best for us.

Now a days there are too many that are letting their kids get away with everything. Beause "they are kids, let them be kids" 

*shakes head* I really feel sorry for those kids when they become adults and all of a sudden have a lot of things that they can't do or are supposed to do that they were allowed to do or didn't have to do when they were kids.

Quoting Mom2Phoenix2011:

I agree 100%. I truly worry about where society is going, Due to the lack of taking personal responsibility. It is really disheartening that people are to lazy to look at labels or take the extra step to find out about what the are putting in their bodies that they want the government to step in and take care of it.

Quoting Basherte:

Whether society approves or not, encourages or not, doesn't or shouldn't have anything to do with it.

It's called personal responsibility. 

By not forcing someone to take responsibility for their own actions, we are not helping them, all we are doing is enabling them, allowing them to pass the blame onto us. 

Laziness isn't an excuse either. Nor is poor will power. Because humans have proven that when it is something that they want they have all the willpower that is needed to get it.

stating that : Unfortunately we live in a society that can not help themselves but over indulge in everything and when there are repercussions they have to find other people to blame it on or try to make them take responsibility for it< is just a cop out to not take responsibility.

Since when do parents teach their kids that it is okay to do anything you want, just blame it on someone or something else? Don't we teach our kids that if they do something wrong they should admit it? Then learn from it? 

why is it okay to indulge and over indulge and then blame other people for it? 

can not help themselves???? 

*shakes head* this really doesn't help my belief in humanity.

Quoting Mom2Phoenix2011:

Unfortunately we live in a society that can not help themselves but over indulge in everything and when there are repercussions they have to find other people to blame it on or try to make them take responsibility for it. I truly wish people would take responsibility for their choices and actions.

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting Mom2Phoenix2011:

They are right. We as people have the choice as to what we drink. They do not force us to purchase their products. They do not force us to drink a whole six pack or two liter bottle in a day. People need to stop blaming their weight issues on products and start blaming themselves for their over indulging. This coming from a person with weight issues who stopped drinking soda.

^I agree. The only time that it isn't the person's fault for being overweight is if they have some medical condition that would make a person gain weight no matter what they eat or don't eat.

Like a thyroid problem.

Otherwise it is our fault for being overweight. 

To be rude about it: it's called put your hands on the table and push away. 

This is coming from a person that is overweight and doesn't blame anything or anyone but herself for it. Although I will now think twice before buying a coke product.

To be honest, coca-cola is right. While drinking their product may help to cause a person to gain weight it isn't the responsibility of the company to make sure that we are healthy. It's to make sure that they make their product as enticing as it can - to make money.

We are the ones that are responsible for what we put into our bodies. We can't blame anyone or anything on what we eat but us. 

I don't see anyone or any company putting a gun to your (general term) head and telling you that you have two choices....eat and drink this all the time or die. 

It's time that we all take responsibility for our own bodies, and not blaming what we choose to put in our bodies, or calling it a 'disease'. 

geriniki
by New Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:18 AM
1 mom liked this
Being overweight is our fault. I drink soft drinks once in a blue moon & it has nothing to do with my weight gain. We live our lives sitting down & not moving, a lot of people only walk a short distance & think that is excersise. Don't blame Coke for you being lazy & not being responsible.
lovelychaos13
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:31 PM

i feel moderation is one of the biggest things!   a single serving maybe once a week or less isnt nearly as terrible. i dont usually keep sodas in the house , if there is some i get to indulge my craving sadly dh then pounds the back voer 4 in one sitting.... ive hidden cans a few times because of this. he has a hard time with portion control, at one point blamed me because im such a good cook i make things too yummy . i told him a couple weeks ago he cant blame his choices on me or try to hold me accountable for his choices. i didnt buy the snack cakes on the way home from work and i didnt force feed the whole box to him in 10 mins, i told him not to try and say that i should have stopped him. how can i when he ate half while in the car alone? here lately hes made alot more effort, hes got  a lil under 100 lbs to lose. i dotn have trouble controling portions or saying no. i dont belive in banning certian foods (real foods)  if ive got alot of calories left for the day  and or have worked out sure il have a treat that doesnt put me over my limit for the day. if i want something  enough il work out harder and or do meal swaps to have the calories avalible. my current stuggle is being too far under my calorie goal. forgetting to eat at times until dinner time. we make our own food choices. me i love food! and i eat really slow i like to savor it as long as possible. i love pretty much all food well except grapefruits, those are nasty.

EthansMomma2010
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 6:36 PM

i wish soda hadn't been such a big part of my life growing up. i'm  not overweight, but i am unheatlhy.

anyway...no it is not coke's fault. do i think that particular ad is a bit of a subliminal lie...yes. but really, what ad isn't?? by that standard most food advertised is not ok.

people need to wake up and realize that they are repsonsible for themselves and their health. no one else. but that goes for all areas of life. this generation has an attitude of...it's not my fault, find someone else to blame. and it's sickening.

Saphira1207
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Society and its institutions influence and effect what individuals do.  Always has, always will.  Kind of like herd metality.

Individuals effect society and its institutions. Always has, always will.  Kind of like the pebble tossed in the pond.

Therefore what the multinational corporations put out in the media will effect what the individual will consume, just as what individuals choose to comsume will effect what the corporations provide.

So really this is about community responsibility for each other, not just individual responsibility.

To say it's all about individual choices ignores a huge factor in what is consumed.

Sweet_Carol_126
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Some people have genes that are prone to obesity.  Some have an addiction to sugar, too and it is hard to overcome that, but it can happen.  It has been shown that Coke and other sodas with sugar can be addictive to people who like sugar.  One a day might be okay, but it has grown to more than one per day.  When I was a kid, we had a Pepsi on Firday night after we went to the store and that was it all week.  We might have KoolAid but not a soda.  Yet our KoolAid also had sugar.   Sounds like Coke is just trying to duck any responsibility.  The caffein also makes it addictive as well.  Yet we each choose what we drink.

Alyson121
by Alyson on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes! lt seems like corporations are exempt from being socially responsible while individuals are not, which means those ads ARE working.

Quoting Saphira1207:

Society and its institutions influence and effect what individuals do.  Always has, always will.  Kind of like herd metality.

Individuals effect society and its institutions. Always has, always will.  Kind of like the pebble tossed in the pond.

Therefore what the multinational corporations put out in the media will effect what the individual will consume, just as what individuals choose to comsume will effect what the corporations provide.

So really this is about community responsibility for each other, not just individual responsibility.

To say it's all about individual choices ignores a huge factor in what is consumed.

reneawesley
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:41 AM

I agree.

Quoting Mom2Phoenix2011:

They are right. We as people have the choice as to what we drink. They do not force us to purchase their products. They do not force us to drink a whole six pack or two liter bottle in a day. People need to stop blaming their weight issues on products and start blaming themselves for their over indulging. This coming from a person with weight issues who stopped drinking soda.

Saphira1207
by Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 3:42 PM

:/

I'm glad someone in here undestands.  Sometimes it feels like I'm shouting in the wind.  The desire for so many people to be blind to the obvious (to me anyway) is so total and absolute that I can't seem to crack the denial let alone make them understand.

Quoting Alyson121:

Yes! lt seems like corporations are exempt from being socially responsible while individuals are not, which means those ads ARE working.

Quoting Saphira1207:

elizabooks
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 5:37 PM
does anyone on here remember when it was recommended to give cola to your infant if they were underweight or not thriving? According to my mom, who was a teen at the time, the "secret" ingredients in cola made children active and alert. Apparently my grandmothers reaction to that ad campaign was "and when I was a kid they said to give a tablespoon of mollassas after every spoon ful if medicine so that your kid would not miss school . Kids would try to "get" sick so they could have something sweet."
So yes over the years companies have convinced us to do some stupid or short sighted things. But we- as consumers- need to think about our choices.

And yes I am overweight. I hate to exercise and love sweets. But I do not eat processed foods, and I make everything from scratch. My weight gain is my fault and I know it.
By the by does anyone know howmany calories is burned by mixing the batter by hand for five minutes? If nothing else my arms are getting toned.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)