Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

I've recently started a little garden, growing herbs and other edible plants. There are SO many different books and websites out there recommending different plants to make your own medicines rather than buying the chemically made stuff. I'd love some recommendations from real moms before going through all those books/sites. What have you made and given to your family?

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:38 AM
Replies (51-60):
Uhura
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:44 AM

No experience with that, cause I'm allergic to pretty much everything green and growing. >.> Despite that, I do grow veggies in the summer, just nothing med wise.

CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers 

CafeMom Tickers

mariam769
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:56 AM
I have mint & I realy think its a good idea to plant ur own, inspired to plant more.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KatieKramer94
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:58 AM
2 moms liked this

Rosemary tinctures.

grow fresh rosemary, steep it with 100 proof vodka for a couple weeks, strain. But in a dropper bottle or capsules. Does wonders for a cold! (alcohol has no effects, you need the alcohol to extract the oils and such from the rosemary)

nativeshaman
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 2:32 AM
1 mom liked this
There is a book entitled East of Eden that tells you exactly what herbs etc to grow and use for all that ails you....remember before medicine became big busuness and big money, home remedies worked quite well....you can grow most medicinals yourself....but because big pharma know you don't know how or have the patience to do this it doesn't worry....all medicines originated as an herb, flower, plant or root.....get the book....use it....prevent illness before it starts...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jdahlstedt
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 3:43 AM

Do you know the author of EoE? Just tried looking for it on amazon and only came up with a couple novels and a movie based on the novels.

Quoting nativeshaman:

There is a book entitled East of Eden that tells you exactly what herbs etc to grow and use for all that ails you....remember before medicine became big busuness and big money, home remedies worked quite well....you can grow most medicinals yourself....but because big pharma know you don't know how or have the patience to do this it doesn't worry....all medicines originated as an herb, flower, plant or root.....get the book....use it....prevent illness before it starts...

Basherte
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:28 AM

crystallized ginger for an upset tummy.

hot tea with garlic juice, cayenne pepper, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg.  And sugar to sweeten... it helps with my cramps, and headaches/migraines. I drink that and have a bit of chocolate. 

I'm good and pain free for most of a day with that. And the tea doesn't taste as bad as it sounds. You have to steep it in that stuff and then drain the tea from that stuff before you drink it. 

peppermint tea for an upset tummy as well. Add just a touch of sugar. < my son loves this and the crystallized ginger.

jdahlstedt
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:00 AM

I have seen a few people recommend growing basil. I do have a little plant that I use with our dinner. Are there other ways to use it?

julesbouge
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:56 AM
2 moms liked this

When I couldn't get my 6 year old into his dr I started researching natural cough medicine on the internet.  I tried the following and it worked wonders when Mucinex and cold medicines did nothing.  : 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper. 1/4 tsp ground ginger. 1 Tablespoon Cidar Vinigar. 2 Tablespoons Water. 1 Tablespoon Honey. Mix spices in cidar vinigar and water. Add Honey. Shake. Give 1 Tablespoon as needed.

lindilouwho82
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:24 AM

We have a green house and grow our own veggies, herbs and have a peach tree, an orange tree a nectarine tree and a grapefruit tree.

Plus my husband is a caretaker and grows medicinal marijuana, organically.

What I know and understand from healing herbs and plants is that not only is it hit and miss but it can be physically demanding.

DH has a variety of tinctures and "potions" made for different ailments. He uses clove, cinnamon, honey and cayenne for coughs. He uses mint, juniper, honey and distilled water for tummy troubles. I am actually sitting here wishing it was him and not me answering this question.

He is the mad gardener where is I am am just a product liability lawyer. His dedication, inspiration and knowledge are not something I am comfortable mimicking.

rubyflame13
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:31 PM

I don't much experience yet with this but it is a HUGE goal of mine.  My friend has made sambucus syrup using elderberries. I have organic tinctures & salves but I have bought them. I would love to hear more as your journey continues. I have some books that I have bought but I still haven't gotten around to reading them yet. Good luck in your adventure, I think it is amazing!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)