Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I've recently started a little garden, growing herbs and other edible plants. There are SO many different books and websites out there recommending different plants to make your own medicines rather than buying the chemically made stuff. I'd love some recommendations from real moms before going through all those books/sites. What have you made and given to your family?

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:38 AM
Replies (11-20):
tairakittie
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:05 AM

I want to start my own herb and veggie garden this year, but I have no clue where to start either. I have a long list of herbs I want to get and plant, but so far the only things ive been able to keep alive is my basil, which is doing rough this year compared to last, a small strawberry plant and a tiny blueberry bush (that my chicks got to this past fall before the berries were ripe, they took them ALL, and they werent even my egg laying chickens!!)... :/

lorililly
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:17 AM

i have started growing basil and mint.. i would like to make my own meds.. need to get some ideas on how to do that though..

Liz132
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:19 AM
1 mom liked this

I make an elderberry syrup to help protect against cold and flu.

It has elderberry (it has antiviral properties) raw honey (antibacterial, antiviral),  echinacea (immune boosting) and rose hips (vitamin c) 

jdahlstedt
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting tairakittie:

I want to start my own herb and veggie garden this year, but I have no clue where to start either. I have a long list of herbs I want to get and plant, but so far the only things ive been able to keep alive is my basil, which is doing rough this year compared to last, a small strawberry plant and a tiny blueberry bush (that my chicks got to this past fall before the berries were ripe, they took them ALL, and they werent even my egg laying chickens!!)... :/

My husband and mother got together and got me an Aerogarden for Christmas. The hardest part of growing herbs (in my opinion) is getting them started. Once the plants are in full bloom they are pretty easy to upkeep. The Aerogarden takes away all the necessary constant TLC the herbs need. It's something to look into. Since Christmas I now have thyme, parsley and basil growing great! Good luck on your garden!

themissheather
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:06 PM
Bump for later
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
karamille
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:09 PM
2 moms liked this

I love fresh herbs.  They are great.  However they do not take the place of medicine.  They are awesome for lessoning symptoms of colds, flues, coughs, upset tummies, bad breath, i routinely use honey on my kids ouchies, etc...  But lets say you have... I don't know... a staph infection, heart condition, asthma, strep throat, cancer, etc... they are not going to cure it.  They may work as a compliment to your prescribed medicine, but they do not take the place of it.  

jdahlstedt
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:55 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting karamille:

I love fresh herbs.  They are great.  However they do not take the place of medicine.  They are awesome for lessoning symptoms of colds, flues, coughs, upset tummies, bad breath, i routinely use honey on my kids ouchies, etc...  But lets say you have... I don't know... a staph infection, heart condition, asthma, strep throat, cancer, etc... they are not going to cure it.  They may work as a compliment to your prescribed medicine, but they do not take the place of it.  

Oh no, of course not! Of course if the doc prescribes something that's a different story. I'm talking more of the small stuff you mentioned; coughs, colds, stomach aches... Ex: the chamomile tinture I have seeping is going to be used when my son starts teething. I don't like the idea of giving him say, Orajel, even the kids version when chamomile can relieve his pain. True, it won't completely numb his mouth like Orajel but in all honesty it's safer and learning to deal with a little uncomfortable pain is part of life.

MrsSamMerlotte
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:07 PM
Bump
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Ladybugmama86
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:14 PM

I have been wanting to get more into it, I love to garden and am quite succesful at it... But I have never made my own tinctures... I would like to borrow the information from this post though if I may.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
Ladybugmama86
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Have you looked into an amber necklace to help with teething? I have not had the oppurtunity to use one but I know a lot of people that their children had a lot of relief from using them.

Quoting jdahlstedt:

Quoting karamille:

Oh no, of course not! Of course if the doc prescribes something that's a different story. I'm talking more of the small stuff you mentioned; coughs, colds, stomach aches... Ex: the chamomile tinture I have seeping is going to be used when my son starts teething. I don't like the idea of giving him say, Orajel, even the kids version when chamomile can relieve his pain. True, it won't completely numb his mouth like Orajel but in all honesty it's safer and learning to deal with a little uncomfortable pain is part of life.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)