Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

I've recently started a little garden, growing herbs and other edible plants. There are SO many different books and websites out there recommending different plants to make your own medicines rather than buying the chemically made stuff. I'd love some recommendations from real moms before going through all those books/sites. What have you made and given to your family?

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:38 AM
Replies (21-30):
HaileysMom07180
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:21 PM

sounds like fun, if i didn't have a black thumb i totaly would lol

thundersky
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:03 PM

i like basil, ginger, nettle,

ragitty
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:13 PM

I have a history of killing plants. I have killed a cactus (under watered, not over), a plant that I was told would be nearly impossible to kill because it's so obvious when it needs more water, and more flowers than I can dare to count. I don't think I have what it takes to grow herbs... although I do have a dream to have a small garden in my backyard for tomatoes and other easy veggies.

crystalplus1
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:46 PM

I healed myself of strep throat with garlic apple cider vinegar and sea salt water. It was awful my throat hurt so bad it was hurting my ears, It took 3 days to feel better and to get rid of my fever, and i continued with the stuff for 4 more days to be sure.

jdahlstedt
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:27 PM
1 mom liked this

We have looked into it. Haven't gotten around to buying one yet. I think we're going to wait and see how bad the teething gets. According to my mother I barely fussed while teething so hopefully my son will get that from me!

Quoting Ladybugmama86:

Have you looked into an amber necklace to help with teething? I have not had the oppurtunity to use one but I know a lot of people that their children had a lot of relief from using them.

Quoting jdahlstedt:

Quoting karamille:

I love fresh herbs.  They are great.  However they do not take the place of medicine.  They are awesome for lessoning symptoms of colds, flues, coughs, upset tummies, bad breath, i routinely use honey on my kids ouchies, etc...  But lets say you have... I don't know... a staph infection, heart condition, asthma, strep throat, cancer, etc... they are not going to cure it.  They may work as a compliment to your prescribed medicine, but they do not take the place of it.  

Oh no, of course not! Of course if the doc prescribes something that's a different story. I'm talking more of the small stuff you mentioned; coughs, colds, stomach aches... Ex: the chamomile tinture I have seeping is going to be used when my son starts teething. I don't like the idea of giving him say, Orajel, even the kids version when chamomile can relieve his pain. True, it won't completely numb his mouth like Orajel but in all honesty it's safer and learning to deal with a little uncomfortable pain is part of life.

VarelaClan
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:55 PM
I don't grow/make my own, but I buy them from vitamin cottage when needed.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
thecoffeefairy
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 6:02 PM
I don't make my own but I use peppermint tea for upset stomachs, tea tree oil for acne, chamomile tea for restless evenings,olive oil in my bath for a glowing complexion and shiny, not oily hair, baking soda for a weekly face scrub and as a tooth whitener.
fullxbusymom
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Not my thing sorry.

Momforhealth
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Some wonderful person in the Green Living group gave me this awesome website.  I made a cough syrup so to speak and there are a few others I want to try.  I always have herbs growing/drying.  I use them mostly in cooking though. http://www.herbsandoilsworld.com/category/health/

MommyofThane
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 6:31 PM
I make my own natural vaporub for chest colds, and natural neosporin type stuff and I'm working on some calming/anti anxiety salves for myself. I don't grow my own herbs yet but I do buy them dried and use them to infuse my oils for salves etc
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN