Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

I've recently started a little garden, growing herbs and other edible plants. There are SO many different books and websites out there recommending different plants to make your own medicines rather than buying the chemically made stuff. I'd love some recommendations from real moms before going through all those books/sites. What have you made and given to your family?

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:38 AM
Replies (31-40):
aehutmacher
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Love this post! I too have been getting into the whole "grow your own -----" thing. I've got mint (of course) and recently propigated my own tea because of it's many medical benefits. Also, living in colorado, I've begun growing my own cannabis to create my own anti-hang-over nightcap ;). Many medical benefits there but only for ADULTS ( the tricomes that are produced are great for skin abrasions like canker sores for example). If growing year-long indoors, I suggest purchasing LED grow lights which will keep your plants growing healthy while using significantly less electricity than traditional grow lights. And don't forget to compost! Good luck and happy growing! Can't wait to hear everything you decide to try

lalasha
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 6:36 PM
Peppermint, stevia, lemongrass peppers(anti inflammatory)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
monkeybunns
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 6:50 PM

I'm starting to get in to this so this is a great thread!  I've purchased some in the past from health food stores but am starting to capsulate some of my own.  My first mixture my midwife recommended is an herbal prenatal:

4 parts alfalfa

2 parts nettles

1 part dandelion root

1 part kelp

I just got a coffee grinder (we don't drink coffee) so I could grind the herbs I could buy at a local store and got a capsule making thing so I'm planning to make these as soon as my kelp arrives (the only thing that was out of stock).  I'm hoping it will help with my allergies-nettles are supposed to help boost your allergy part of your immune system.  I hope when we're able to plant our own things somewhere I can grow some herbs and stuff to use but right now that's just not possible (we've looked in to all of our options with that and it just won't work right now but I plan to grow stuff when hubby is done with grad school and we can settle somewhere).

Kaya529
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 6:55 PM
I grow garlic for its immune sysyem boosting properties and basil for upset stomachs. I have never made a medicine before though.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sweetboys4me
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:07 PM

look into square foot or container gardening.  That way you can start small and add a little more each year.  You can get the materials, build, and plant in one day.  A 4 ft x 2 ft garden will fit 8 different herbs, plus it is small enough to find a spot for it. It can also be mobile. That way if you don't like where it is, you can simply move it to a better spot.

Quoting tairakittie:

I want to start my own herb and veggie garden this year, but I have no clue where to start either. I have a long list of herbs I want to get and plant, but so far the only things ive been able to keep alive is my basil, which is doing rough this year compared to last, a small strawberry plant and a tiny blueberry bush (that my chicks got to this past fall before the berries were ripe, they took them ALL, and they werent even my egg laying chickens!!)... :/

sweetboys4me
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:10 PM

The only thing I do is make ginger tea for tummy trouble.  This is interesting.

Kari_Noelle
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:16 PM

I don't grow my own but I do use herbs rather than traditional medicine for many things. I also started oil pulling for health benefits.

AF2011
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:39 PM

No, I don't want to grow and make my own medicine. That would put me out of a career since right now I'm a Pharmacy Tech and I'm going to school to become a Pharmcist.

Sweet_Carol_126
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:42 PM

One of the problems with herbs, etc. is that  no one knows how much of omething to use.  Even at store bought herbs as they are not regulated by the government so don't know about how much of somehting or how much of other items in it as well. 

Sweet_Carol_126
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Check out sproutpeople.com/blog and you can connect with people who do sprouting, eating microgreens, and who juice.  Broccoli is good in sprout, microgreen or full grown form.  garlic and onions are high in anti-infection properties.  Blueberries are good as well.  Strawberries have a lot of vitamin C.  Everyone should have 5-7 fruit and vegetables (high carb items like potatoes or corn should count as carbs instead of veggies).  Doing green smoothies is good  and they also have fruit to taste sweeter.  You can check out green smoothies on the internet as well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)