Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

I've recently started a little garden, growing herbs and other edible plants. There are SO many different books and websites out there recommending different plants to make your own medicines rather than buying the chemically made stuff. I'd love some recommendations from real moms before going through all those books/sites. What have you made and given to your family?

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:38 AM
Replies (41-50):
Nee86
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh I LOVE herbs as medicine!! We grown mint, lemon balm, raspberries (leafs for medicine), chamomile, and so much more.
I also go and collect stinging neetles and elderberries.
Sweet_Carol_126
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Raw Foods is one.

The less processed foods are the best for us.  They don't have additives other than what we put in them.  Get organic seed and plant using organic fertilizers like kelp or other organic organizers without meat products in them (like bones).  Though that is more for the vegetarians.   For insect control spray them with soap and water or put diatomaceous earth  in a ring around them to kill insects.  I am still a novice too and have been reading for the last year and have joined the sprout people group and have learned about sprouting and microgreens and bought some Aerogardens for herbs and lettuces, but can't grow much that way except over winter to keep some fresh.  You can grow in raised beds which may make it easier.  Some grow in towers.  If you have a Vitamix or a high grade blender like Blentec you might want to check their sites and join a group to share ideas. 

whisperwhisper
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:16 PM

ALOE VERA! It's the best plant to have around the house if you have hot sunny seasons. Just break a leaf off and use the juice on the burn. I suggest that one whole heartedly.

Spiritrunner
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:50 PM

the only store bought meds i will use on my children are tylenol for a fever that needs brougth down asap, other than that they get natural stuff i make and have grown out my own garden, i grow sage, chamomile, mint, marjoram, lemon, orange, parsely, garlic, rasberry, strawberry, ginger and plan to add to it this year with much more veggies but we did grow tomatoes and bell peppers this last year and hot peppers. Almost all herbs have a medicinal quality to them and there is a fair amount of free books for kindle or for the kindle for pc app which is free for your pc and you can download kindle books on to it.

jessicasmom1
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:52 PM

I would LOVE to 

Laurenw420
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:53 PM
I grow my own medical marijuana too :) Its amazing for many things, I use it for pain managment, I was SO sick of strong,.addictive narcotic pain meds. Its great for cancer patients, and seizures as well. But obviously only for adults.

Quoting aehutmacher:

Love this post! I too have been getting into the whole "grow your own -----" thing. I've got mint (of course) and recently propigated my own tea because of it's many medical benefits. Also, living in colorado, I've begun growing my own cannabis to create my own anti-hang-over nightcap ;). Many medical benefits there but only for ADULTS ( the tricomes that are produced are great for skin abrasions like canker sores for example). If growing year-long indoors, I suggest purchasing LED grow lights which will keep your plants growing healthy while using significantly less electricity than traditional grow lights. And don't forget to compost! Good luck and happy growing! Can't wait to hear everything you decide to try

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MoonStruckMom
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:32 PM
1 mom liked this
We make our own healing balm (a home made type of neosporin, I guess), cough syrups, teas/infusions, use fresh, organic veggies, herbs, etc, or buy the dried herbs, still organic, and use pure essential oils as well. Have made and used tinctures, but not often. Depends on what you need, honestly. In our house, fresh ginger tea with cinnamon and raw honey, Chamomile tea, green tea, raw Apple cider vinegar, fresh raw milk kefir, home made kimchee and our home made cough syrup, and home made electrolyte water are pretty much all our medicines. My family has never had a flu shot, and never had a cold longer than 5 days, so I would say we are doing very well.
There are so many books and websites, I suggest going to a library and look at the different types/styles. What works for me may not for you. Browse, experiment, be prepared to improvise, and trust your instincts. When you find books you like, buy them.
Best wishes.
ChristianHerbal
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:22 PM
Musts: Basil (digestiv track disturbances), mint (sinus, digestive), Oregano (Antibiotic), Thyme (Anti-spasmotic; think asthma, bronchitis. Decreases cough), Calendula (pot marigold). Calendula is good for so many different things!
lizzistardust
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm very much in favor of natural healing, and I share that with my husband (my son is too young to take anything medicine-like that's not totally necessary, though).  St. John's Wort was my go-to for mild depression for a very long time.  Valerian root helps you relax or sleep.  I've used black cohosh to encourage menstrual regularity.  Oh, garlic is a natural anti-biotic (more mild than prescription, of course) and cranberry is a natural anti-viral and, of course, good in preventing UTIs (or fending off one that hasn't really taken hold).  Lots more also, but those are what I've had the most experience with.

Some I've grown and used, but they're also available in stores and I find it's easier to opt for that in most cases.

That is not to say I shun conventional medicine.  I wouldn't be alive if it weren't for conventional medicine!!!!  But we tend to over-medicalize our lives in this culture.

mypbandj
by Jen on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:53 PM
Does aloe count! That's all I know.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)