Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

I've recently started a little garden, growing herbs and other edible plants. There are SO many different books and websites out there recommending different plants to make your own medicines rather than buying the chemically made stuff. I'd love some recommendations from real moms before going through all those books/sites. What have you made and given to your family?

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:38 AM
Replies (61-65):
Shopsha0911
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:59 AM

On the cooking channel there is a show called Grow your own Drugs, it's really interesting. there are also many websites of cource and your local Health Food Store or Library is probably a great resource. 

Raveyk
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:22 PM

mint tea or oil, works way better for my husband and I when it comes to headaches :)

fallin4her24
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:46 PM
1 mom liked this
My daughter got a cactus garden with like 12-15 in it.....we have one left .... I killed them all. And the two spider plant starters they gave me. No more plants!

Quoting ragitty:

I have a history of killing plants. I have killed a cactus (under watered, not over), a plant that I was told would be nearly impossible to kill because it's so obvious when it needs more water, and more flowers than I can dare to count. I don't think I have what it takes to grow herbs... although I do have a dream to have a small garden in my backyard for tomatoes and other easy veggies.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ragitty
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:57 PM

When people hear that I killed a cactus they usually assume I overwatered it. It is truly a testament to my black thumb that I managed to underwater a cactus--and I tried so hard on that thing. I tried really hard with my lily-fern looking thing, too, that I was told would be hard to kill, but alas 45 days later it was no longer of this world...

Quoting fallin4her24:

My daughter got a cactus garden with like 12-15 in it.....we have one left .... I killed them all. And the two spider plant starters they gave me. No more plants!

Quoting ragitty:

I have a history of killing plants. I have killed a cactus (under watered, not over), a plant that I was told would be nearly impossible to kill because it's so obvious when it needs more water, and more flowers than I can dare to count. I don't think I have what it takes to grow herbs... although I do have a dream to have a small garden in my backyard for tomatoes and other easy veggies.

jdahlstedt
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Found these recipes on my favorite website to buy bulk herbs and oils (http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/). *Thankfully* no one in my family has been sick this winter so I haven't had a chance to make any of them myself.

Cold Flu Tea

When you're huddled at home nursing a cold or flu, a warm cup of herb tea is comfort in itself. An advantage to drinking tea is that the liquid thins congestion and flushes out toxins. It's true that tea is time-consuming, but try to find time to take care of yourself when you're sick. Drinking two to three cups of the following tea, nice and hot, will make you sweat and lower a fever. Afterward, if possible, tuck yourself into a warm bed.

- 1/2 teaspoon Yarrow flowers (Achillea millefolium)
- 1/2 teaspoon Elder flowers (Sambucus canadensis)
- 1/2 teaspoon Peppermint leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon Echinacea root
- 1/2 teaspoon Schisandra berries
- 3 cups boiling water

1.Combine the herbs in a teapot and pour the boiling water over them. Steep for at least 20 minutes.

2.Strain and drink throughout the day. You can make a double batch and keep it in the refrigerator. Just be sure to warm it before drinking.

Sore Throat Gargle with Sage

The Sage (Salvia officinalis) used in the following recipe is a classic gargle, but other herbs such as Marjoram, Thyme or Hyssop can replace it. Opera singers once used Marjoram to ease a strained throat.

-1 cup boiling water
-2 teaspoons fresh or dried Sage leaves
- 1/4 ounce salt

1.Pour the boiling water over the sage, cover and steep for 20 minutes.

2.Strain and add the salt. Gargle as needed. Store in the refrigerator for a couple of days.

Herbal Steam

Warm, moist air opens nasal and bronchial passages. Combined with herbs, steam is one of the most effective, all-purpose cold and flu cures. To humidify and disinfect the entire house, simmer the water with the herbs or essential oils on low heat for half an hour. Essential oils can also be used in most commercial humidifiers, but check the instructions.

-3 cups water
-5 drops essential oil of Lavender
-5 drops essential oil of Rosemary
-5 drops essential oil of Bergamot

1. Simmer the water in a pan. Remove from the heat and add the oils (you can get the same effect by putting 1/8 cup total of fresh or dried herbs in the simmering water instead of the essential oils).

2. Hold your face over the steam and cover your head with a bath towel. Tuck the ends of the towel around the pan so the steam doesn't escape. Breathe in the fragrant steam as deeply as you comfortably can, coming out for fresh air when needed (about every minute or so).

Lemon Antiseptic Throat Spray

A diluted lemon spray is one of the most effective tools to knock down a cold or flu. Other herbs to use in a throat spray are lavender, eucalyptus, lemon, and peppermint. When sprayed through the air, terpene compounds in these oils combine with oxygen to increase the oil's antiseptic properties.

-15 drops Lemon essential oil
- 5 drops Peppermint essential oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice

1.Combine the ingredients and pour the concoction into a spray bottle.

2.Shake well, then gently spray into your throat throughout the day.

Essential Oil Vapor Rub

Ointments called vapor rubs are designed to be rubbed directly on the chest and throat. They rely on essential oils such as peppermint and eucalyptus to produce a heating sensation that reduces constriction by stimulating blood circulation. The oils in a vapor balm are also absorbed through the skin to relieve congestion and kill infection. They serve double duty - the antibiotic scent is also inhaled into the lungs. Vapor balms sold in pharmacies still use compounds derived from antibiotic essential oils (or synthetic counterparts), such as thymol from Thyme and menthol from Mint.

-10 drops Eucalyptus essential oil
-10 drops Peppermint essential oil
-3 drops Thyme essential oil
-1/8 cup Olive oil

1.Combine the ingredients and rub on your chest and throat.

2.To increase the warmth of the balm, rub the oil briskly onto the skin. A warm piece of flannel placed on the chest afterward will increase the warming sensation.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN