Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

HI new to this group, veggie gardens anyone?

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:55 PM
  • 13 Replies

Hi, I am new to this group and I was wondering if anyone has a veggie garden and what all you did to get it started.  Thanks :)

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CrazedMomof2
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:17 PM

We have in the past but haven't in years. I want to this year though.

We have done tomatoes, carrots, strawberries and cucumbers.

amonkeymom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Welcome!  I don't have one currently, but since I'm in the process of buying a house I hope to have at least a small garden this summer.

reneawesley
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:05 PM

We haven't but the girls would love one. 

mp3mom
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Hi and welcome! I don't, but I saw on Pinterest the other day where someone was starting a garden now using peat (I'm assuming moss). I found this:

http://www.livestrong.com/search/?mode=standard&search=how+to+start+a+garden

Quoting Jebekarue:

Hi, I am new to this group and I was wondering if anyone has a veggie garden and what all you did to get it started.  Thanks :)

BramblePatch
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:43 PM
I live in an area with a short growing season but I usually manage to grow:

Yellow, red, and green onions
Red potatoes
Tomatoes of several varieties
Carrots
Radishes
Purple cabbage
A dozen or so herbs
A variety of peppers
Strawberries
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
musicpisces
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:30 AM

I don't know that we'll have one this year.  With me in nursing school, it's hard for me to take the time it takes to tend to one.  We have some volunteer stuff from years past, though, like chard, kale, oregano, and strawberries.  We also have some old established fruit trees and vines, which we love.  Lots of pears, apples, and grapes in the fall!  We also have olives, peaches, plums, nectarines, figs, and blueberries.

The house we're in has raised beds, so getting starts (because I CANNOT grow anything from seed), tomato cages, and gloves was about it.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:38 AM

Welcome to the group!  I've never done one before:)  

bhwrn1
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Welcome! I do have one. We start it in march, grow the seeds in our basement then transfer them out when the ground softens up. Last year we used chicken poop fertilizer and it worked wonders!

LntLckrsCmQut
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:22 AM

We garden but I haven't ventured into a winter garden just yet.

We typically grow bell peppers, jalapenos, herbs, squash, onions and green beans and tomatoes. We also bought a lemon tree but they typically take at least a year to start producing.

Here is what my garden looked like over the spring and summer of last year. The bottom pic is my rosemary. I've had it going on three years now and right now, it's at least twice the size as the picture.

balagan_imma
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:27 AM

We have a huge garden mostly for tomatoes, cukes, peppers and zucchini. I've been slowly taking over other places in the yards to add herbs, greens like lettuce and spinach, okra, and pumpkins.

We also started a raised bed community garden at our synagogue. We have 2 beds and grow things that we cannot at home because of the rabbits and squirrels. So strawberries, squashes, cabbages, cantaloup, eggplant.

We love it. Growing veggies has gotten the kids more into eating them and they taste so much better.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)