Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Tip: Eat S.L.O.W

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:21 PM
  • 7 Replies

Eat S.L.O.W

A Japanese study found that faster eaters gained an average of 4.2 pounds over 8 years, while slower eaters gained only 1.5 pounds.

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:40 AM

Makes sense.

bhwrn1
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:54 AM

I've always heard to eat more slowly because it takes time for your stomach to tell your brain it's full.

SabrinaLC
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:38 AM

True.

If you eat fast you will end up eating too much because your body won't have the time to let you know that you are satisfied.

Krysden
by Platinum Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:05 PM

agreed

mp3mom
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Interesting.

Quoting MamaMandee:

Eat S.L.O.W

A Japanese study found that faster eaters gained an average of 4.2 pounds over 8 years, while slower eaters gained only 1.5 pounds.

ihave1
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:43 PM

That is becase if you eat slow your brain has time to let you know you are full.  I will start eating slower

Neuro
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:12 AM

It takes your hypothalamus (part of the brain that sends the "full signal") 20 minutes to fully register that you are full. (http://www.deanza.edu/faculty/janowiczrachel/GI%20Pathology%20&%20Nutrition%20Lab%20PowerPoint.pdf) my computer won't load the link but I am pretty sure it is in there.

This is why slower eaters gain less weight. Their hypothalamus registers full and they stop before they eat more than they need. People who eat faster don't give their hypothalamus enough time to "save" them from over-eating. I am a very slow eater, I have never been able to help it. I used to think it was a problem before I studied weight and weight loss. I have been a healthy weight my whole life.

Eat more slowly, you'll find that you are eating less over time. Eventually, you will become accustomed to eating less.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)