Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

just found out I'm pregnant and I took 2 pills of Bactrim for UTI. Should I worry?

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:22 PM
  • 16 Replies

So I was prescribed to Bactrim for a UTI on 1/7/13. I was prescribed to 800/160; 2 pills a day for 3 days, a total of 6 pills, but I Only took 2. This was about a week after the baby was conceived. I just found out yesterday that I am pregnant. I told the nurse that I could be pregnant; she took a test and it came negative and the doctor prescribed me to Bactrim anyway. i took one day's worth but stopped after reading the back of the prescription bottle and switched to amoxicillin. I read about Bactrim and read that it is a Class C drug and could be harmful to the baby during the first and third trimester. Has anybody taken Bactrim during their first trimester. It said that it could give cause Folic Acid deficiency and thus cause neural defects. I know I only took two pills but I am a very paranoid person. Thanks for any response;)

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jenerica.
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:05 PM
1 mom liked this
You should definitely talk to your doctor, but I doubt one dose would do harm. Oh and congrats!
mp3mom
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome~ Congratulations! I found this:

http://www.livestrong.com/search/?mode=standard&search=Bactrim+while+pregnant

Quoting proud03:

So I was prescribed to Bactrim for a UTI on 1/7/13. I was prescribed to 800/160; 2 pills a day for 3 days, a total of 6 pills, but I Only took 2. This was about a week after the baby was conceived. I just found out yesterday that I am pregnant. I told the nurse that I could be pregnant; she took a test and it came negative and the doctor prescribed me to Bactrim anyway. i took one day's worth but stopped after reading the back of the prescription bottle and switched to amoxicillin. I read about Bactrim and read that it is a Class C drug and could be harmful to the baby during the first and third trimester. Has anybody taken Bactrim during their first trimester. It said that it could give cause Folic Acid deficiency and thus cause neural defects. I know I only took two pills but I am a very paranoid person. Thanks for any response;)

Melissa823
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I bet you're fine. Go buy I bottle of Folic Acid and take extra with your prenatals!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:33 AM
1 mom liked this

I would talk to your doctor.  Hugs!

amonkeymom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Congratulations!  Definitely let your doctor know about it, but try not to worry.  You can't change things now.

proud03
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Thanks guys:) This is my first time on one of these chats and I didn't expect such fast responses:) Well I did talk to my OB doctor and she said that taking Bactrim won't interfere with my pregnancy and is not considered a teratogen (cause birth defects) in the dosage that I took. I guess it has to be a pro-longed usage of taking it in order for it to cause folic acid deficiency.. It still stays on my mind, and I had another doctor re-assure me, plus a pharmacist and a nurse, lol. I haven't had a baby in 6 years and it feels like the first time. I wasn't even this paranoid with my two sons:) Well guys, I will keep you posted throughout my nine months of pregnancy:) Wish me luck. HugsXOXO

MrsRinehart2010
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldnt stree they do perscribe bactrim to women who are pregnant.

I for some reason constantly got uti whne pregnant an I had bactrim many times. no effect on my girls.

MrsRinehart2010
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Quoting proud03:

Thank you so much Mrs. Rinehart!! I was anticipating a reply from someone who used Bactrim while pregnant. Your babies are beautiful:) Thanks again!! I guess I will calm my nerves..lol

not a problem, thank you. I wouldnt stress at alll it generally safe in pregnancy ...

proud03
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Thanks Mrs Rinehart! Did you take it during your first trimester too?

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Glad you got some answers!  Good luck on your pregnancy!!

Quoting proud03:

Thanks guys:) This is my first time on one of these chats and I didn't expect such fast responses:) Well I did talk to my OB doctor and she said that taking Bactrim won't interfere with my pregnancy and is not considered a teratogen (cause birth defects) in the dosage that I took. I guess it has to be a pro-longed usage of taking it in order for it to cause folic acid deficiency.. It still stays on my mind, and I had another doctor re-assure me, plus a pharmacist and a nurse, lol. I haven't had a baby in 6 years and it feels like the first time. I wasn't even this paranoid with my two sons:) Well guys, I will keep you posted throughout my nine months of pregnancy:) Wish me luck. HugsXOXO

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)