Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

HELP I NEED HELP I AM LACTOSE INTOLERANT

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi  I was diagnosed in October 2012 with being lactose intolerant.  I thought I had it under control.  But the last few days I have had diarrhea and today was the worst.  I got terrible stomach cramps and got diarrhea and did not make it all the way to the bathroom..  We were at a basketball game and came home.  I am so frustrated if any body can help me please do.  The doctor that diagnosed this was a (not sure how to spell this)gastrointestinal doctor.  So where do I go from here.  If anybody can help I would love some advice. Thank you ahead of time

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:44 PM
Replies (11-19):
monkeybunns
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:53 PM
You can also find lactase enzyme pills in a health food store. Cut ALL dairy out first for 2-3 weeks and then try introducing cheese and see if you have a reaction-MOST lactose intolerant people can eat cheese because the lactose is so broken down from all the other enzymes in cheese. I can always eat cheddar, mozzarella,etc just fine. Then try yogurt-this is similar but I found I can't do drinkable yogurt or homemade but I'm ok with any store brand. Use lactose free milk in cooking or almond milk or rice milk. If you aren't cooking from act arch read every food label. If you find you still have issues even taking EVERY milk product out for a couple weeks and switching to lactose free it may actually be an allergy. If you are ok with lactose free milk try lactose pills if you want what your body doesn't like. I can't ever drink milk even with lactose pills but I can have a little ice cream.
musicpisces
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Have you tried keeping a food diary, and tracking your symptoms there, too?  It might be more than just the lactose that's causing issues, if you're avoiding dairy but still having troubles.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Alyson121
by Alyson on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:07 PM

These ladies gave some GREAT advice.  Also, be away of dry goods . .things like chips, pastas, sauces as many of them contain milk.  You'll have to read the ingredient lists of ALL packaged food you buy.  You may want to shop at natural and organic grocery stores to start.

nikkita311
by on May. 25, 2013 at 5:44 PM
I'm lactose intollerant too and goat cheese and milk and soy milk are to use almond milk coconut and rice milk.some breads have dairy in them as well read labels.
nikkita311
by on May. 25, 2013 at 5:44 PM
I'm lactose intollerant too and goat cheese and milk and soy milk are to use almond milk coconut and rice milk.some breads have dairy in them as well read labels.
alc4evermom
by on May. 31, 2013 at 7:56 AM

Why would someone with lactose intolerance continue to eat dairy?  I agree that enzymes can help but they are not the solution.  I have a ton of allergies and my teacher said that instead of dwelling on what I can't have, I make a positive light out of what I can have.   I thought I was allergic to dairy but when I realized it was really peanuts and gluten, I was able to tolerate cottage cheese and sour cream---but I never drink milk or eat ice cream.  I think when people continue to eat things they are allergic to they are subconsciously punishing themselves and trust me, you don't have to!!!  I actually want to specialize in teaching people to cook that have food allergies.  Good luck!

alc4evermom
by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:05 AM

By the way, , Galaxy is a mainstream brand of lactose free cheese, available in dairy and non dairy versions.  The dairy kind contains casein, which can be constipating, so maybe try the dairy free?  They make American style as well.  I use it because its low fat and fortified.  My surly boyfriend likes it too.  Also, almond milk is great, and soy ice cream, and coconut milk ice cream are great as well.  There are dairy free yogurts too.  

ZakkarysMom
by on Jun. 1, 2013 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Lactaid pills, imo, are a waste of money. Just thought i would throw that out there. lol.
CHERYL578
by on Jun. 2, 2013 at 7:36 AM

I am too lactose intolerant but I have learn how to control it at times. Sometimes I do over do it and get everything you said in your email. I can have a little intake of diary but I can't over do it. Like if I have  cereal in morning which is fine I can have yogurt too but that will b all the diary I have for that day. I just need to remember what I've eaten. There's other times that I have forgot and have ate yogurt, then later string cheese, then that notes 2-3 scoops of ice cream then later I get really bad cramps and everything else.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN