Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Cold Remedy

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:40 AM
  • 10 Replies

I have heard Cinnamon and locally grown Honey will cure it within 2 days.  How much of each and what do you actually do with them?

Every Second of Every Day is a New Beginningpuppy

by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mypbandj
by Jen on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:40 PM
Idk. Here's a bump.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
deedee3849
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:40 PM

I'm not sure on the honey cinnamon ratio but I have also heard good things about them both. I have had my boys use honey for a cough....without too much success =(

I use elderberry syrup with my boys (and myself and dh) at the onset of a cold. In our experience it really seems to help shorten the duration. Elderberry is suppose to be an immune booster. I loved it so much I bought elderberry plants so I can make my own syrup (this summer). It has honey in it, and cinnamon. Here's the recipe I'm using. Just a note: The elderberry stems and leaves are toxic. Must make sure to add the berries only to make the recipe. No stems alllowed!

Elderberry Syrup Recipe

Published October 14, 2011 | By jamiew

http://simplynon-toxic.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/elderberry-syrup-225x300.jpgI heard about Elderberry Syrup last Fall and never got around to testing it out until now. It is yummy and VERY sweet, no wonder my 2 year old loves it! I have been on a kitchen kick so instead of purchasing some I decided make a batch. It was very easy and inexpensive!

I watched this video by Mountain Rose Herbs: Elderberry Syrup 

Many recipes that I have seen do not have the cloves, cinnamon or ginger in them - these are added immune boosting elements and 1 (or all of them) can be eliminated if you do not have any on hand. If you are lucky enough you can harvest your own. If that is not a possibility you can purchase dried Elderberries from your local herbalist or online from Mountain Rose Herbs.

What you will need:

1/2 c. Dried Elderberries (or 1 c. fresh)

5 Whole Cloves

1 Cinnamon Stick

1/2 tsp. Freshly Grated Ginger

2 c. Filtered Water

1 c. Raw Local Honey

1 Medium Saucepan with Lid

1 20-32 oz Glass Mason Jar with Lid - to store syrup in. Or several small jars or a jar made for pouring liquids.

1 Spoon

1 Colander

Directions:

1. Heat the berries, cloves, cinnamon, ginger and water to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer covered for 30-45 minuets until the liquid is about half of the original amount.

2.  Pour the mixture into a clean jar/bottle through a strainer, mash the berries to get all of the good juice out.

3.  Add 1 cup of honey and stir until dissolved.

4.  Label and store, refrigerated  for 2-3 months.

* I found some interesting information about Elderberry Syrup and how other people make it. Here are a couple of blogs with a ton of great Elderberry information: MrsSurvival,ModernAlternativeMamaNatural Herbs 101 (List of Medicinal Herbs Safe for Breastfeeding), Livestrong and JustPlainLivin.

I hope that this inspires you to use this natural remedy this cold and flu season. I know this is going to be a staple in our house from now on! Enjoy!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Above sounds good:)  I honestly don't know!  

cookinmommyof1
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:47 PM
Honey has natural antibacterial/antiinflammatory properties to it. Cinnamon is good for immune system and blood sugar regulation. Also oregano is a natural painkiller and has antibacterial properties. Also at the onset of a cold if you nup your zinc it really helps you get over it quicker.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cookinmommyof1
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:48 PM
I have an uncle who makes elderberry wine that could strip the paint from a car. Lol. The berries themselves are really good, though. And his grape wine is amazing. He grown and makes everything himself.

Quoting deedee3849:

I'm not sure on the honey cinnamon ratio but I have also heard good things about them both. I have had my boys use honey for a cough....without too much success =(

I use elderberry syrup with my boys (and myself and dh) at the onset of a cold. In our experience it really seems to help shorten the duration. Elderberry is suppose to be an immune booster. I loved it so much I bought elderberry plants so I can make my own syrup (this summer). It has honey in it, and cinnamon. Here's the recipe I'm using. Just a note: The elderberry stems and leaves are toxic. Must make sure to add the berries only to make the recipe. No stems alllowed!

Elderberry Syrup Recipe

http://simplynon-toxic.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/elderberry-syrup-225x300.jpgI heard about Elderberry Syrup last Fall and never got around to testing it out until now. It is yummy and VERY sweet, no wonder my 2 year old loves it! I have been on a kitchen kick so instead of purchasing some I decided make a batch. It was very easy and inexpensive!

Many recipes that I have seen do not have the cloves, cinnamon or ginger in them - these are added immune boosting elements and 1 (or all of them) can be eliminated if you do not have any on hand. If you are lucky enough you can harvest your own. If that is not a possibility you can purchase dried Elderberries from your local herbalist or online from Mountain Rose Herbs.

What you will need:

5 Whole Cloves

1 Cinnamon Stick

2 c. Filtered Water

1 c. Raw Local Honey

1 20-32 oz Glass Mason Jar with Lid - to store syrup in. Or several small jars or a jar made for pouring liquids.

1 Spoon

1 Colander

Directions:

1. Heat the berries, cloves, cinnamon, ginger and water to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer covered for 30-45 minuets until the liquid is about half of the original amount.

2.  Pour the mixture into a clean jar/bottle through a strainer, mash the berries to get all of the good juice out.

* I found some interesting information about Elderberry Syrup and how other people make it. Here are a couple of blogs with a ton of great Elderberry information: MrsSurvival,ModernAlternativeMamaNatural Herbs 101 (List of Medicinal Herbs Safe for Breastfeeding), Livestrong and JustPlainLivin.

I hope that this inspires you to use this natural remedy this cold and flu season. I know this is going to be a staple in our house from now on! Enjoy!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
musicpisces
by *Suzanne* on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:24 AM

I haven't heard about cinnamon for colds, but I use Traditional Medicinals Gypsy Cold Care Tea, and it's freaking awesome.  I throw in some local honey, and sip on that all day.  LOVE.  I swear it makes everything better, and the cold goes away pretty quickly.  DH just FINALLY tried it, and loved it.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 21, 2013 at 6:51 AM

Hope you feel better soon though mama!

SabrinaLC
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:01 AM

I don't know that it will cure it, but it will probably shorten the duration.

I've never heard of this particular mix though so I can't really say how much of each.

deedee3849
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:34 AM

Yes, I've read it makes great wine! My dh used to make wine, maybe I'll have him try some!

Quoting cookinmommyof1:

I have an uncle who makes elderberry wine that could strip the paint from a car. Lol. The berries themselves are really good, though. And his grape wine is amazing. He grown and makes everything himself.

Quoting deedee3849:

Elderberry Syrup Recipe

What you will need:

5 Whole Cloves

1 Cinnamon Stick

2 c. Filtered Water

1 c. Raw Local Honey

1 Spoon

1 Colander

Directions:

sununner36
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Thank you will try this.  Does sound good even without a cold.

Quoting deedee3849:

Elderberry Syrup Recipe

What you will need:

5 Whole Cloves

1 Cinnamon Stick

2 c. Filtered Water

1 c. Raw Local Honey

1 Spoon

1 Colander

Directions:

Every Second of Every Day is a New Beginningpuppy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)