Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Skinny was my idol, starving my religion

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:22 PM
Jen
  • 12 Replies

Has anyone ever struggled with an eating disorder? 

I found THIS article today and wanted to share some of the things the author wrote. Can you relate?

• every idle fantasy begins with the caveat that I am 10, or 20, or 30 pounds lighter than I actually am. You could make an argument that I don't want anything more than I want to be skinny. You would probably be right.
  •  there was a constant sly whisper in my head saying worthless, undisciplined, fat
  • Relationships seemed impossible; I couldn't imagine how anyone could ever want me the way I was.
  • I've met women my age who eat what they want and couldn't care less if they gain two pounds over Christmas, but I am convinced they are the exception, not the rule. The rule is that if you are a woman in America, you want nothing quite so much as you want to be a little smaller. The rule is you are always trying to lose.

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Alyson121
by Alyson on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mypbandj:
  •  The rule is that if you are a woman in America, you want nothing quite so much as you want to be a little smaller. The rule is you are always trying to lose.

This really seems to be true, doesn't it?

thecoffeefairy
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:41 PM
It's rough. The fear of being overweight can easily become an obsession. I try to maintain the weight I have been since having my last child. Sometimes I wish I were a 3 again though. I just remind myself a size 5 is nice, especially considering how curvy I am.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:47 PM

I personally have a history of an eating disorder...this seems very familiar to me.

mypbandj
by Jen on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:00 PM
1 mom liked this
That's exactly what I thought.

Quoting Alyson121:

Quoting mypbandj:
  •  The rule is that if you are a woman in America, you want nothing quite so much as you want to be a little smaller. The rule is you are always trying to lose.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Krysden
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:29 AM

thanks for sharing

cleanaturalady
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:49 PM

My eating disorder history is long and varied, unfortunately. 

reneawesley
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:09 AM
Thanks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
e-doolittle
by Kelly on Jan. 29, 2013 at 1:18 AM
So true

Quoting Alyson121:

Quoting mypbandj:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
caterpilar
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:58 AM
Thanks for posting this. I've never struggled with an eating disorder but I have had all of those thoughts before. I am working hard on trying to change that. I am slowly learning to love and accept myself. I still have bad days but they are fewer and farther between. I only had 1 bad day this month. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
caterpilar
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:00 AM
I wanted to add that I was raised by someone with an eating disorder and both of my sisters struggle with eating disorders. I think that is where I learned the negative self talk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)