Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

11 Convincing reasons vegan isn't crazy

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:23 AM
  • 93 Replies
4 moms liked this

http://www.rd.com/slideshows/convincing-reasons-eating-vegan-isnt-crazy/#slideshow=slide1

Even eating vegan part-time can benefit your health.

You'll get enough protein from plants.

Vegan recipes are cheap, plentiful, and tasty.

Plenty of grocery staples are vegan.

Change your plate, change the world.

Vegans make a winning grilled cheese.

You can ease into it (and out of it).

Veganism is not a fad diet.

Vegans who eat well don't need to buy additional supplements.

Guess who's gone vegan?

You can make friends!

For details on each above, click the link :-)

***Sabrina *~* wife to Matt  8/6/05*~*Mommy to Isaac 7/25/06, *~*Liam 7/30/08, *~* and Eban 6/24/10***

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mypbandj
by Jen on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:29 AM
No, nope. I still think vegans are crazy.

KIDDING!!! Lol

I admire people who can live the vegan lifestyle. And the idea of being a part time vegan is interesting to me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
reneawesley
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:14 PM

I just can't go vegan 

SabrinaLC
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:36 PM

I'm sure you could, you just choose not to.  

I didn't think I could go full vegan and neither did my husband.  But we did and to be honest, I'm happy about it.  I don't even miss eating the way I did before.

Quoting reneawesley:

I just can't go vegan 

***Sabrina *~* wife to Matt  8/6/05*~*Mommy to Isaac 7/25/06, *~*Liam 7/30/08, *~* and Eban 6/24/10***

SabrinaLC
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:37 PM

HA!

I'm not full vegan since I still have animal products (leather, wool, pearls) in my house but definitely a happy vegan dieter, lol

Quoting mypbandj:

No, nope. I still think vegans are crazy.

KIDDING!!! Lol

I admire people who can live the vegan lifestyle. And the idea of being a part time vegan is interesting to me.

rockinmomto2
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:38 PM

I, personally, can't. I have a sugar intolerance that doesn't allow me to eat any type of wheat. That means no bread, no pasta, no anything like that. I also can't have dairy. So no cheese, no milk. That leaves me with literally fruits and veggies. Not everyone can become a vegan.

Quoting SabrinaLC:

I didn't think I could go full vegan and neither did my husband.  But we did and to be honest, I'm happy about it.  I don't even miss eating the way I did before.

Quoting reneawesley:

I just can't go vegan 

SabrinaLC
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:50 PM

I'm confused.  Are you saying you can't become a vegan because you can't eat wheat or dairy?  Vegans don't consume dairy anyway.  So if you can eat fruits and veggies then that's great.  You could also eat other types of grains that don't contain wheat.   

Quoting rockinmomto2:

I, personally, can't. I have a sugar intolerance that doesn't allow me to eat any type of wheat. That means no bread, no pasta, no anything like that. I also can't have dairy. So no cheese, no milk. That leaves me with literally fruits and veggies. Not everyone can become a vegan.

Quoting SabrinaLC:

Quoting reneawesley:

I just can't go vegan 

rockinmomto2
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:59 PM

I can't consume any type of grain. They all contain the type of carbohydrate that turns into sugar that my system doesn't tolerate. I can't survive on a diet of fruits and vegetables. Being vegan isn't going to work for me.

Quoting SabrinaLC:

I'm confused.  Are you saying you can't become a vegan because you can't eat wheat or dairy?  Vegans don't consume dairy anyway.  So if you can eat fruits and veggies then that's great.  You could also eat other types of grains that don't contain wheat.   

Quoting rockinmomto2:

Quoting SabrinaLC:

Quoting reneawesley:

I just can't go vegan 

SabrinaLC
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Well I suppose if you would have mentioned that instead of just saying wheat I would have been able to better understand.  

Grain free vegan is possible.  I'm sorry for your intolerance to those specific foods.

Quoting rockinmomto2:

I can't consume any type of grain. They all contain the type of carbohydrate that turns into sugar that my system doesn't tolerate. I can't survive on a diet of fruits and vegetables. Being vegan isn't going to work for me.

Quoting SabrinaLC:

Quoting rockinmomto2:

Quoting SabrinaLC:

Quoting reneawesley:

I just can't go vegan 

jhslove
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:09 PM
2 moms liked this

I've met people who cannot realistically eat a vegan diet because they have so many food allergies. A good friend of mine is allergic to wheat, corn, soy and dairy (I know vegans don't eat dairy anyway), and a vegan diet simply would not work for her. However, she buys local, pasture-raised dairy and meat and avoids processed foods--largely because processed foods tend to be made with the things she's allergic to.

Most people COULD eat a vegan diet, but not everyone could. And as the original post states, going vegan--even part-time--can have significant benefits for our health and the environment. Going 100% isn't necessary, and my time as a vegetarian and a vegan taught me that the preachy, self-righteous approach really, REALLY doesn't work and actually tends to be counterproductive and make people dig in their heels even more.

I don't think everyone needs to go vegan or vegetarian, but as a society we eat way, WAY too much animal protein. I see the problem with the debate as being two extremes--you have one side saying everyone should be vegan, and the other side saying there's nothing wrong with eating meat three times a day and we all have the right to eat what we want, regardless of the public-health consequences and environmental damage, not to mention the impact on the global food crisis. Neither is correct, IMO; the right approach is more balanced. Less meat (those who want to be vegetarian can, great for them), more plants, more local food and get rid of the industrial factory farms that produce "cheap" meat that comes at a huge hidden cost. Get communities back to having a connection with their food and teach kids the joy of eating whole, non-processed foods that they grow, harvest and prepare themselves.

Quoting rockinmomto2:

Quoting SabrinaLC:

Quoting rockinmomto2:

Quoting SabrinaLC:

Quoting reneawesley:

I just can't go vegan 

jenerica.
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:29 PM

I consider myself vegan-ish.  :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)