Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Tip: Make the Farmers Market Fun for the Family

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:29 PM
  • 10 Replies

Make the Farmers Market Fun for the Family

If there is a local farmer’s market nearby, support your community and pay them a visit. Get the whole family involved. Allow either yourself, or a family member to choose a new item from the produce section and add it to your meal.

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jenerica.
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:21 PM
I love going to our local farmers market when its running. I try to make it exciting for my daughter by ooo-ing and ahhhh-ing at all the fresh produce. Lol! We also block off a few hours of our weekend every two weeks and drive out to a dairy farm about 70 miles north of our home to load up on fresh milk, grass-fed beef, raw honey, and fresh eggs. Its nice to see where our food comes from. When I was growing up, most of our food came from Tom Thumb. I even remember my mom loading up on milk from a gas station on the way to our house. Ha! I am trying to build different memories for my daughter. But now that I think of it, my mom always had a garden. So we at least had fresh veggies and herbs in the summer months.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:00 AM

Ours are nice!

SabrinaLC
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:20 AM

I love love farmers markets but we just don't go but rarely :-/  We really need to plan that into our weekends better 

reneawesley
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:31 AM
We don't have any good farmers markets around here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Alyson121
by Alyson on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Love going to the outdoor markets.  Haven't gone this winter though, even though there are a few open year round.  Any kind of shopping is ALWAYS a family event/adventure in my household.

.https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/282521_10150722309715304_6089881_n.jpghttps://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/599603_10151835489910304_198901123_n.jpg

Alyson121
by Alyson on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:08 PM

That's awesome. I ALWAYS say we're going to go to the farms and never do.  I'm totally going to do it this year.  There are SOOOO many farms where we live it's really bad that we've not been yet.  Typically we just drive right on by and say we'll stop "one day."  That's great that you make a point to take your children to an actual farm. I bet they love it.

Quoting jenerica.:

I love going to our local farmers market when its running. I try to make it exciting for my daughter by ooo-ing and ahhhh-ing at all the fresh produce. Lol! We also block off a few hours of our weekend every two weeks and drive out to a dairy farm about 70 miles north of our home to load up on fresh milk, grass-fed beef, raw honey, and fresh eggs. Its nice to see where our food comes from. When I was growing up, most of our food came from Tom Thumb. I even remember my mom loading up on milk from a gas station on the way to our house. Ha! I am trying to build different memories for my daughter. But now that I think of it, my mom always had a garden. So we at least had fresh veggies and herbs in the summer months.

Alyson121
by Alyson on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:10 PM

I can totally relate.  I have to actually prepare the night before if our family is going to make it to the market before it closes.  That means, children in bed super early, clothes laid out already, bags packed, etc and we have to get everyone up early that Saturday too. So it's really easy miss it.

Quoting SabrinaLC:

I love love farmers markets but we just don't go but rarely :-/  We really need to plan that into our weekends better 

Alyson121
by Alyson on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:11 PM

aawww. . .that sucks.  When we lived in Las Vegas the few markets we ran into pretty much SUCKED.

Quoting reneawesley:

We don't have any good farmers markets around here.

MamaMandee
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:29 PM

I live in a farming area & while I dont always get to local markets so many in my area have tables set up in front on their houses and so I often stop. 

Krysden
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:09 PM

farmers markets are awesome!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)