Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

The Atkins diet? did it work? 

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:38 AM
Replies (11-18):
mypbandj
by Jen on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this
My friends dh did it like 10yrs ago and lost a lot of weight.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
preacherskid
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:29 PM
1 mom liked this

The only people I know who did the Atkins diet didn't follow it very well- theycut carbs but replaced them with less than appropriate proteins, ie for breakfast several fried eggs, maybe some bacon or sausage instead of cereal/toast/oatmeal.  They didn't stick with the diet.

musicpisces
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:32 PM

The people I know who have done it have had a hard time sticking with it.  If you have ANY liver or kidney issues, it's not recommended.

I would personally stay away.  I've seen the effects it can have on the body (the byproduct of a super high protein diet is ammonia, which can lead to all sorts of issues in the liver, kidneys, GI tract and brain).  I truly believe in more balance than that in my food intake, and I don't like diets that eliminate entire food groups.  It's NOT recommended for endurance athletes or runners.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

mommaTLC186
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:53 PM
That's good to know! Yeah I don't know if id be able to stick to it for a long time either. The food is too restricting. I love bread lol

Quoting musicpisces:

The people I know who have done it have had a hard time sticking with it.  If you have ANY liver or kidney issues, it's not recommended.

I would personally stay away.  I've seen the effects it can have on the body (the byproduct of a super high protein diet is ammonia, which can lead to all sorts of issues in the liver, kidneys, GI tract and brain).  I truly believe in more balance than that in my food intake, and I don't like diets that eliminate entire food groups.  It's NOT recommended for endurance athletes or runners.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mp3mom
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:44 PM
1 mom liked this

My hubby & I did it years ago. I'm not a huge fan of bread & pasta anyway. We also started exercising everyday at the time; I believe that's how we lost weight. We'd also cut out junk food, well, he did. He's a Chef and around food constantly. I personally believe in "Fit For Life", Harvey & Marilyn Diamond. It takes different enzymes to digest meat and fruit & veggies; they just don't combine, in the short version. I don't believe in "diets" per se, it's how you live. Balance, exercise, and water. Good luck!

mommaTLC186
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:41 PM
I'll look that up. I have a love affair with bread lol I've lost almost 40lbs since September but I want to lose 20 more. I'll look into that fit for life. Thank you :)

Quoting mp3mom:

My hubby & I did it years ago. I'm not a huge fan of bread & pasta anyway. We also started exercising everyday at the time; I believe that's how we lost weight. We'd also cut out junk food, well, he did. He's a Chef and around food constantly. I personally believe in "Fit For Life", Harvey & Marilyn Diamond. It takes different enzymes to digest meat and fruit & veggies; they just don't combine, in the short version. I don't believe in "diets" per se, it's how you live. Balance, exercise, and water. Good luck!

mp3mom
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Congrats on your weight loss! I know, a lot of people like bread. I have my moments, too ;) Good luck on the last 20!

Quoting mommaTLC186:

I'll look that up. I have a love affair with bread lol I've lost almost 40lbs since September but I want to lose 20 more. I'll look into that fit for life. Thank you :)

Quoting mp3mom:

mommaTLC186
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:57 PM
1 mom liked this
:) thank you

Quoting mp3mom:

Congrats on your weight loss! I know, a lot of people like bread. I have my moments, too ;) Good luck on the last 20!

Quoting mommaTLC186:

Quoting mp3mom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN