Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

I'm confused

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:09 PM
  • 5 Replies
Is coconut oil good for you? Its high in saturated fats isn't it??
And now they are saying olive oil isn't as healthy as they thought.
Where would I even buy coconut oil?? Is it expensive?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
musicpisces
by *Suzanne* on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Coconut oil IS good for you.  Yes, it's high in saturated fats, but it's medium chain saturated fats.  Long story short, some saturated fats, in moderation, are healthy.  I wouldn't eat it by the cup by any means (still 9 calorie per gram), but using it for cooking where you might use other oils or butter is smart.  I buy it at Whole Foods and even at Costco (of course, don't get it at Costco the first time!  LOL).  It's not as cheap as say, canola oil, but I think it's worth the cost for the benefits.  It lasts awhile, anyway. (unless I'm bad and I bake cookies- then I use a fair amount!  LOL  But they're AMAZING!)

With olive oil, PURE olive oil is good for you.  However, most olive oil, at least in the US, is cut with cheaper, less healthy oils, even though it doesn't say so on the label.  If you try some from a local vendor or farmer's market, the flavor difference is amazing, and of course, the quality and health benefits are as well.  It will be more expensive, though.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

jendawn1
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:12 PM
Thanks for clearing that up for me momma!!

Quoting musicpisces:

Coconut oil IS good for you.  Yes, it's high in saturated fats, but it's medium chain saturated fats.  Long story short, some saturated fats, in moderation, are healthy.  I wouldn't eat it by the cup by any means (still 9 calorie per gram), but using it for cooking where you might use other oils or butter is smart.  I buy it at Whole Foods and even at Costco (of course, don't get it at Costco the first time!  LOL).  It's not as cheap as say, canola oil, but I think it's worth the cost for the benefits.  It lasts awhile, anyway. (unless I'm bad and I bake cookies- then I use a fair amount!  LOL  But they're AMAZING!)

With olive oil, PURE olive oil is good for you.  However, most olive oil, at least in the US, is cut with cheaper, less healthy oils, even though it doesn't say so on the label.  If you try some from a local vendor or farmer's market, the flavor difference is amazing, and of course, the quality and health benefits are as well.  It will be more expensive, though.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mp3mom
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Hi, I found this:

http://www.livestrong.com/search/?mode=standard&search=raw+coconut+butter

It goes for under $12.00

Quoting jendawn1:

Is coconut oil good for you? Its high in saturated fats isn't it??
And now they are saying olive oil isn't as healthy as they thought.
Where would I even buy coconut oil?? Is it expensive?

SabrinaLC
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Great reply! Very informative!

Quoting musicpisces:

***Sabrina *~* wife to Matt  8/6/05*~*Mommy to Isaac 7/25/06, *~*Liam 7/30/08, *~* and Eban 6/24/10***

Krysden
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Thank you for this

Quoting musicpisces:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)