Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Weight loss myths

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:18 PM
Jen
  • 12 Replies
I was watching the Today Show this morning and this is something they were talking about.

Weight loss myths

According to a new report in the New England Journal of medicine, the following are weight loss myths:

Myth #1- Rapid weight loss doesn't stick.
New research shows that rapid weight loss just might be what someone needs to feel motivated to keep going. And some people who lose weight rapidly, are able to sustain their longer than those that lose it slower.

Myth #2- Set realistic weight-loss goals.
Many people actually will respond to setting those higher goals. Everyone is different so don't feel bad if you want to set a high goal for yourself.

Myth #3- Sex is a good workout.
Sex doesn't burn a lot of calories. We actually need a long duration of low intensity workouts to lose weight. Average sex is six minutes so you'll have to increase that if you're using it to lose weight. LOL
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
letstalk747
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:37 PM

sure , all believable

reneawesley
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:30 AM

I agree with that. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:29 AM

Interesting!!

Neuro
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:35 AM

I believe it.

One thing that a lot of people believe is that gastric bypass will maintain itself. However, if you do not change your diet appropriately, you will eventually gain the weight back as well as your capacity to over-eat. Something to think about when considering the surgery.

mypbandj
by Jen on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:19 AM
I've heard that!

Quoting Neuro:

I believe it.

One thing that a lot of people believe is that gastric bypass will maintain itself. However, if you do not change your diet appropriately, you will eventually gain the weight back as well as your capacity to over-eat. Something to think about when considering the surgery.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Vertical15
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:15 PM

These make sense.

#1 makes me sad.  I lost only 70 lbs over the course of two years and lost barely anything last year but managed to maintain my loss and I still have another 70 to go but I'm really struggling to get more off.  I don't know which way is better-I think its more personal but I know when I've lost a few pounds I'm more motivated for sure.

Alyson121
by Alyson on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:07 AM

LOL @ 6 minute sex. 

Alyson121
by Alyson on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:09 AM

I've seen that happen to a few people. They didn't gain all the weight back, however they did gain weight and had to have more surgery to get the extra weight off.  And they still didn't change their diet.

Quoting Neuro:

I believe it.

SabrinaLC
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Oh boy is the sex one true! lol

I had no idea the calorie burn was so low :-/

te he

mp3mom
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:25 PM

*GRINNING* #3...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)