Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Getting My Family Healthier..Really Could Use Some Tips

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:39 AM
  • 10 Replies

Hey everyone,

I am really trying to get my family healthy and trying to lose some weight (about 10 to 15 lbs).  The only problem is that I am on a very very tight budget. I've tried couponing, but all I buy is the non name brand stuff, so it's hard to find coupons that would really benefit me. I sometimes have a hard time with juggling work, school, daycare, and the family life sometimes; thus I like to keep recipes simple and quick.  Not to mention I am pretty compulsive over my house being clean so I have chore lists all over and there is always a "To Do List" in my pocket.  I have the Insanity workouts, but they are so time consuming (not going to lie I didn't even make it through the first 15 minutes of it).  I have to get the kids up and ready by 7:30 to have them at daycare and make it to work or school Monday through Friday.  We usually don't get home until 5:00.  I am super organized and have a meal planner and all that, but it's hard to stick to sometimes.  Not to mention I have some picky eaters on my hand ( not just the kids haha).  I have tried to get up early, but I find myself studying all night long after the kids are in bed, or just trying to wind down from my busy day ( I have a job that requires me to drive from patient to patient all day).  I would like to be able to start working out, have time to get all prettied up and actually feel good about myself and be a good example for my girls.  Any advice would be very much appreciated at this point since I am kind of at a dead end. 

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:34 AM

Welcome to the group!  Glad you are here:)  Can you get up early and exercise with workout videos before your kids get up?  That might work for a quick workout:)  Veggies, fruits, whole grains, and lean protein should be the bulk of your diet...farmer's markets are great places to get cheap produce.  You can also get frozen veggies and frozen fruits.  Good luck mama!

SabrinaLC
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Welcome to the group!

I workout an hour after dinner each night.  It's just what works best for me.  I also have picky eaters, you just find what they like (that is healthy) and give it to them along with new foods to try.

cleanaturalady
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Here is a website I posted about a while back.  She goes through her meal plans with a 50.00 a week buget. 

$50/week grocery budget w/ menu ideas that seem somewhat healthy...

Click the pic for the website

Alyson121
by Alyson on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:51 PM

First, i'd probably get rid of all the lists and plans as it seems like it's more stressful than helpful, especially if you're not using them to their full potential. Second, you can start by doing a 10 minute workout right when you jump out of bed. Skip the dvd's, etc and just do things like jumping jacks, squats, push-ups for 10 minutes and then start your day. Third, if you want to start eating healthy sit down on the week-ends and ask your family what are some of their most FAVORITE dishes and healthy things to eat. Write a list and then come up with some meals that the whole family can enjoy. Check out Pinterest because they have TONS of healthy crock pot meals and freezer meals that you can make yourself.  You will have to spend some time buying the ingredients and prepping it. Fourth, when you get home from work a good way to unwind and really get into making a fresh meal is to put on some easy and mellow music. Maybe light some scented candles and no tv. Also have your family help so that it's not all on you. Last, if the kitchen is messy, it's okay. I hide my dirty dishes in the dishwasher so i don't feel stressed about my kitchen not looking a certain way.

mp3mom
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Welcome :) I commend you for wanting to change. That's the most important thing. Baby steps. IMHO, and it's only a suggestion... focus on one thing at a time. You want to lose weight; start there. When you get home, start dinner, and change into workout clothes. Do some stretching, maybe go for a walk, or jump rope, then (IDK if you have some light weights) do some curls, then lean on a chair, back flat, and curl back. You could do squats, lunges, abs. I like circuit training; cardio and toning. When you're finished, dinner should be ready. I never made a "big deal" out of what I really wanted my kids to eat. Sometimes, I'd put it on a platter with frilly toothpicks & put it in the middle of the table, or counter. I'd put things on pretty plates. For a while I tried a "one bite" thing. I always let them "help" make dinner. Fresh food usually doesn't have coupons. If you do cook, make double, wrap half & freeze for next week. This site has great ideas~ Good luck!

http://www.livestrong.com/weight-loss-get-started/

Quoting GracesMama2009:

Hey everyone,

I am really trying to get my family healthy and trying to lose some weight (about 10 to 15 lbs).  The only problem is that I am on a very very tight budget. I've tried couponing, but all I buy is the non name brand stuff, so it's hard to find coupons that would really benefit me. I sometimes have a hard time with juggling work, school, daycare, and the family life sometimes; thus I like to keep recipes simple and quick.  Not to mention I am pretty compulsive over my house being clean so I have chore lists all over and there is always a "To Do List" in my pocket.  I have the Insanity workouts, but they are so time consuming (not going to lie I didn't even make it through the first 15 minutes of it).  I have to get the kids up and ready by 7:30 to have them at daycare and make it to work or school Monday through Friday.  We usually don't get home until 5:00.  I am super organized and have a meal planner and all that, but it's hard to stick to sometimes.  Not to mention I have some picky eaters on my hand ( not just the kids haha).  I have tried to get up early, but I find myself studying all night long after the kids are in bed, or just trying to wind down from my busy day ( I have a job that requires me to drive from patient to patient all day).  I would like to be able to start working out, have time to get all prettied up and actually feel good about myself and be a good example for my girls.  Any advice would be very much appreciated at this point since I am kind of at a dead end. 

mp3mom
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:18 PM

I forgot to mention to check our Recipe Folder at the top~ it's got almost anything you could think of... even kid friendly, I'm sure :)

Quoting GracesMama2009:

Hey everyone,

cmorris1200
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Can you take a walk during your lunch break??  Also, bringing homemade lunch to work.

GracesMama2009
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Thanks guys for all the help. I don't really have a lunch break. I get a list of patients then schedule the appointments myself. Somedays I am on the road from 8AM until 5PM. I really appreciate all the help :)

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:56 PM
Small changes add up to lifestyle impact. Pick one thing and make It become habit then move onto the next. Finding time for exercise is really hard for me too. Keep us posted!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LntLckrsCmQut
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:19 AM

I wouldn't worry about couponssince most of the coupons available are for things you shouldn't eat anyway.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN