Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

#4 of 18 Superfoods That Fight Disease

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:13 PM
  • 11 Replies

Beets

Why they're super: Beets are loaded with antioxidants and have been found to protect against cancer, heart disease, and inflammation. Naturally sweet and full of fiber and vitamin C, beets make a delicious and nutrient-packed addition to any meal.

How to enjoy them: Try finely grated raw beets in your salads or roast them along with sweet potatoes and parsnips for a colorful and flavorful side-dish—just keep in mind that certain cooking methods (like boiling) may decrease their nutritional value. And don't forget about the leafy green tops, which are rich in iron and folate, and can be prepared much like their cousins, Swiss chard and spinach.

Credit: Getty Images

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
san78
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:15 PM

i love beetroots esp home grown ones!

mp3mom
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:36 PM

I'll have to try... I can't seem to get over the canned stuff my mom used :(

Quoting MamaMandee:

Beets

Why they're super: Beets are loaded with antioxidants and have been found to protect against cancer, heart disease, and inflammation. Naturally sweet and full of fiber and vitamin C, beets make a delicious and nutrient-packed addition to any meal.

How to enjoy them: Try finely grated raw beets in your salads or roast them along with sweet potatoes and parsnips for a colorful and flavorful side-dish—just keep in mind that certain cooking methods (like boiling) may decrease their nutritional value. And don't forget about the leafy green tops, which are rich in iron and folate, and can be prepared much like their cousins, Swiss chard and spinach.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:17 AM

Never been a fan of those things!

LntLckrsCmQut
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:55 AM

I'm not a fan of them either but I can handle them juiced with other things.

Quoting mp3mom:

Quoting MamaMandee:

Beets

mypbandj
by Jen on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Oh man! I never eat beets.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
reneawesley
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:32 AM
I don't like beets.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
krn210
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:12 PM

I love beets. :-)

mp3mom
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Yes, I've juiced them, also.

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

I'm not a fan of them either but I can handle them juiced with other things.

Quoting mp3mom:

Quoting MamaMandee:

Beets

MamaMandee
by Mandee on Feb. 14, 2013 at 2:20 PM
Not a fan of beets
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
4kidz916
by Healthiest Mom! on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Beets are one food I can't bring myself to eat.  My mom used to can them and I always thought the house smelled like dirt while she was working with them. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)