Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Massive Boxed Salad Recall: Check Your Packaged Spinach

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:58 PM
  • 24 Replies

Posted by Adriana Velez
on February 14, 2013 

spinach leavesTime to double-check your packaged greens again, everyone. There is a nationwide recall for organic baby spinach in 5-ounce and 16-ounce trays (those little plastic boxes). The alert is coming from Taylor Farms Retail Inc. The spinach may be contaminated with (EHEC) Enterohaemorrhagic Escherichia coli. It can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, the usual -- and, in worst cases, kidney failure. So we do need to take this one seriously.

This is a less common strain of E. coli, most commonly found in cattle intestines. And yes, I'm sad that once again it's organic that's been contaminated. Even organic can go wrong sometimes! The spinach has been distributed to at least 32 states, so read the following information carefully.

Here are the products being recalled:

Central Market Organics Organic baby spinach in 16 oz. trays; UPC number is 0-41220-18534-4 with a best by date of February 24, 2013; distributed in TX.

Full Circle Organic baby spinach in 16 oz. trays; UPC number is 0-36800-28875-1 with a best by date of February 24, 2013; distributed in CA.

Marketside Organic baby spinach in 5 oz. trays; UPC number is 6-81131-32898-2 with a best by date of February 24, 2013; distributed in AR, CO, LA, NM, OK, and TX.

Simple Truth Organic baby spinach in 5 oz. trays; UPC number is 0-11110-91128-5 with a best by date of February 24, 2013; distributed in AK, AZ, CA, CO, ID, LA, MO, MT, NM, OR, TX, UT, WA, and WY.

Taylor Farms Organic baby spinach in 16 oz. trays; UPC number is 0-30223-04780-3 with a best by date of February 24, 2013; distributed in AL, AR, AZ, CA, CO, DE, FL, GA, HI, IA,ID, IN, IL, KS, KY, LA, MD, MO, MN, MS, MT, NC, NE, NM, NV, NJ, NY, OK, PA, SC, TN, TX, UT, VA, WI, and WY.

What's especially scary about this recall is that it's baby spinach, which people usually eat raw in salad. Anyway, I'm glad they caught it before anyone got sick -- as far as we know. Check those bags, and if you have one of these, throw it out!

Have you ever been affected by a food recall?

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
reneawesley
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:38 PM
Not until now. I have to go check my spinach now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
reneawesley
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:40 PM
We were affected by the similac recall a few years ago. It was the only thing my baby would take and the kind she took was affected. I had to return 2 things and buy the premixed because hers was for reflux.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
4kidz916
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:15 PM

I checked the package in my fridge.  Not those brands.  

Krysden
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:38 PM

BUMP

Momof2Stepof3
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Guess I will be watching the family closely we used this stuff for Taco Salad last night and the box is gone and trash was picked up so I can't check the info.

Quoting Cafe AmyS:

Posted by Adriana Velez
on February 14, 2013 

spinach leavesTime to double-check your packaged greens again, everyone. There is a nationwide recall for organic baby spinach in 5-ounce and 16-ounce trays (those little plastic boxes). The alert is coming from Taylor Farms Retail Inc. The spinach may be contaminated with (EHEC) Enterohaemorrhagic Escherichia coli. It can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, the usual -- and, in worst cases, kidney failure. So we do need to take this one seriously.

This is a less common strain of E. coli, most commonly found in cattle intestines. And yes, I'm sad that once again it's organic that's been contaminated. Even organic can go wrong sometimes! The spinach has been distributed to at least 32 states, so read the following information carefully.

Here are the products being recalled:

Central Market Organics Organic baby spinach in 16 oz. trays; UPC number is 0-41220-18534-4 with a best by date of February 24, 2013; distributed in TX.

Full Circle Organic baby spinach in 16 oz. trays; UPC number is 0-36800-28875-1 with a best by date of February 24, 2013; distributed in CA.

Marketside Organic baby spinach in 5 oz. trays; UPC number is 6-81131-32898-2 with a best by date of February 24, 2013; distributed in AR, CO, LA, NM, OK, and TX.

Simple Truth Organic baby spinach in 5 oz. trays; UPC number is 0-11110-91128-5 with a best by date of February 24, 2013; distributed in AK, AZ, CA, CO, ID, LA, MO, MT, NM, OR, TX, UT, WA, and WY.

Taylor Farms Organic baby spinach in 16 oz. trays; UPC number is 0-30223-04780-3 with a best by date of February 24, 2013; distributed in AL, AR, AZ, CA, CO, DE, FL, GA, HI, IA,ID, IN, IL, KS, KY, LA, MD, MO, MN, MS, MT, NC, NE, NM, NV, NJ, NY, OK, PA, SC, TN, TX, UT, VA, WI, and WY.

What's especially scary about this recall is that it's baby spinach, which people usually eat raw in salad. Anyway, I'm glad they caught it before anyone got sick -- as far as we know. Check those bags, and if you have one of these, throw it out!

Have you ever been affected by a food recall?

MichelleK41
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Thanks for the heads up. =)

timon95
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:38 PM

no we haven't

bhwrn1
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:32 AM

I have not, thank goodness.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:56 AM
Thanks!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Nope never have.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)