Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are Fraternal Twins genetic from the father or mother's side??

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:14 AM
  • 22 Replies

Hello guys! I just found out that I am pregnant with fraternal twins. Twins do not run in my family. My boyfriend's great-grand father is a fraternal twin; but he has other children and they aren't twins. I have two other children who aren't twins. I am 28 and African American. I heard that African American women have higher chances of conceiving twins, and women over 30. I also read that fraternal twins are hereditary through the women's side since a man can't make a women ovulate two eggs. My doctor's aren't able to give me a straight answer. Can you still have twins if they don't run in the mother's side of the family? I'm just confused, excited and shocked at the same time. 

by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.Angelica.
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:54 PM

I think twins all depends on the mother. Cause in identical twins the egg splits (which the father has nothing to do with) and in fraternal twins, the mother released two eggs and both get fertilized (again, the father has nothing to do with two eggs releasing)

SabrinaLC
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:37 PM

no idea

dusky_rose
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Interesting question. Twins don't run in our family, but my brother had fraternal twins with his wife. So I think that this would support your theory that it comes from the woman's side.

reesesami
by New Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:16 PM
Just because no fraternal twins have been born to your family doesn't mean they don't run in your side of the family. It just means that whenever a woman from your side of the family has released two ovums in a month, she was NOT impregnated. That's how I would view it at least. Congrats on your twins!! I want twins so bad! My dad was a fraternal twin and so was his mom. Here's hoping!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaCeleste0722
by New Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Fraternal twins can be genetic, but on the mother's side. You're right in that the father can't make the mother ovulate two eggs.  I have fraternal twins but no twins in my family 

mypbandj
by Jen on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:39 PM
Mothers!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kellynh
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:02 PM

From the Mom

bellawomen
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:05 PM
Fraternal doesn't have to be genetic, but for them to be fraternal it would me the mother ovulated 2 eggs instead of 1.

Just because they are in 2 sacs also doesn't mean they are not identical, unless they are obviously boy/girl twins.
Bookwormy
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:07 PM
Only mom can drop 2 eggs.
reneawesley
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:57 PM

No clue

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)