Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Help with cologne...

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 1:34 PM
  • 35 Replies

My husband doesn't always wear cologne. He put some on today right before leaving the house to go to the grocery store.

While he was getting ready to go to the grocery store, I was taking our son upstairs for his nap. When I came back downstairs, I was 'hit in the head' with the smell of his cologne. Within minutes of being downstairs, I've gotten a pretty bad headache. Working on getting a migraine.

Is this because of my lack of being around cologne? or is it the cologne itself causing a migraine?

wedding countdown

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 1:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Some people are allergic. I am. You may be as well.

Basherte
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Some people are allergic. I am. You may be as well.

I'm not allergic to anything so far as I know. Even still, I know that there are certain smells that can affect migraines. 

Although, I guess it's possible that I have become allergic to it. He's not going to be happy if he has to stop wearing it.

Could it have been just the amount that was in the air? 

wedding countdown

amonkeymom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd say it's the cologne itself.  I can't be around perfumes of most kinds because of the migraines they give me, my mom is the same way and my daughter is becoming more sensitive to them as she gets older.

MichelleK41
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:53 PM

It could go either way but if you have never had an allergy to it before, then its probably the way so much hit you at once.

Basherte
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 6:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you ladies. 

I appreciate it. I'll just make sure that he sprays it upstairs or outside. He won't be happy, but he will do it. Just because he doesn't like it when I have a migraine. He can see how much pain I'm in when I have one. 

He's a sweetie.

wedding countdown

DaniSaranac
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 6:24 PM

I think people are sensitive to cerain types, also, certain fragrances react differently with the pH in our bodies, so if he worked up a sweat, he probably smelled stronger, this is especially true of less expensive colognes that contain more alcohol. It's really kind of a trial and error thing.

RobynS
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Over the years I have really started to hate cologne and perfume. It's so chemical-y (yeah, I know, not a word! LOL).

I can't STAND to go in Bath & Body Works or any store that has a lot of 'smelly' products. It totally assaults my nose and I do get a headache if I'm around it for very long.

mp3mom
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:33 PM

I'm so sorry... I'm just *smiling*. My son had THE WORST cologne, I think it was AXE... I couldn't breathe. All his friends wore it, too. This was a couple of years ago~ I kid you not, I had to open all the windows in the house... and heaven FORBID I was driving them somewhere! IDK who told them, but all of a sudden, AXE was out... Whew! He's wearing Old Spice now... It's cute... it says something like... If your Grandfather weren't here, you wouldn't be wearing this... I'm getting it wrong, it was cute! Just tell him... Get him a new one! My hubby wouldn't care. He surly wouldn't want to smell offensive ;)

Quoting Basherte:

My husband doesn't always wear cologne. He put some on today right before leaving the house to go to the grocery store.

While he was getting ready to go to the grocery store, I was taking our son upstairs for his nap. When I came back downstairs, I was 'hit in the head' with the smell of his cologne. Within minutes of being downstairs, I've gotten a pretty bad headache. Working on getting a migraine.

Is this because of my lack of being around cologne? or is it the cologne itself causing a migraine?

reneawesley
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 2:05 AM

I'd say its the cologne. Perfumes usually give me migraines. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:26 AM
Sorry mama!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)