- Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: 1 sandwich)
- Calories per serving: 377
For this Grilled Chicken and Vegetable Hero, choose sweet red or orange bell peppers for a colorful way to add 11 times more beta-carotene.
- 4 (4-oz) chicken cutlets
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 (6-oz) red or orange bell pepper, quartered
- 1 small (4-oz) zucchini, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 small (5-oz) eggplant, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 4 (3-oz) whole-wheat hoagie rolls, split lengthwise
- 4 teaspoons store-bought olive tapenade
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
1. Preheat grill or grill pan to medium-high. Rub chicken with 1 tsp oil and sprinkle with a pinch each salt and pepper; grill 4 minutes per side or until cooked through.
2. Toss cut vegetables with remaining 2 tsp oil and a pinch each salt and pepper; grill 5 to 7 minutes per side until tender.
3. Slice chicken. Spread rolls with tapenade, and fill with chicken, vegetables, and basil, if desired.
Forget the regular ol’ green peppers. Choose sweet red or orange instead for a colorful way to add 11 times more beta-carotene.