Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Dh says we are going gluten free!

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:05 AM
  • 43 Replies

After describing the list of signs of gluten intolerance to dh he decided we are going gluten free. We have given ourselves roughly 3 months to get rid of all gluten in our house. This will be mid move too so any suggestions on restaurants or fast food places that offer gluten free would be great too. What i need are recipes I can use for sandwhich bread and muffins and suggestions on what to buy gluten free and what to just cut out. Dh will be the hardest to cut out as i pack his lunch. DS and I are mostly gluten free except for dinner already. Oh and this is absolutely necessary as DH has the most symptoms and DS just got a sensory processing diagnosis. Also Dh and i have discovered we qualify as Asperger's. So we really need to make this work for us.

Any good cracker suggestions? i'm addicted to crackers.

by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JMmama
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:21 AM
My youngest is newly gluten free. He likes the glutino brand of rice crackers. I haven't been able to get a handle on any recipes yet as we are also getting ready for a move. I do buy gluten free bread so he can have PB&J but if I was going to be gluten free I would just skip sandwiches. The bread is tiny and kind of weird tasting. DS doesn't seem to mind but he is 1 so.,, For lunches, you could do lettuce wraps or soup.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mypbandj
by Jen on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Good for you! My friends son is on a speical diet, I'm sure it's gluten free.  They always have to bring over his special food. I'll have to ask her more about it. I do know that one thing he is allowed to eat is McDonald french fries. LOL Seems crazy and I know they don't do it often but apparently its one fast food he is allowed.

EthansMomma2010
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:53 AM

yah the tiny bread is why I planned on making my own. I can't skip sandwhiches. DH has no microwave access and ds has very few foods he will eat and pb sandwhiches is one of them. i will check out those crackers. thanks!

Quoting JMmama:

My youngest is newly gluten free. He likes the glutino brand of rice crackers. I haven't been able to get a handle on any recipes yet as we are also getting ready for a move. I do buy gluten free bread so he can have PB&J but if I was going to be gluten free I would just skip sandwiches. The bread is tiny and kind of weird tasting. DS doesn't seem to mind but he is 1 so.,, For lunches, you could do lettuce wraps or soup.

SabrinaLC
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Good luck :-)

Alyson121
by Alyson on Feb. 20, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Do you access to any health food or natural food stores in your area? Sometimes they are a great resource for gluten free.  Also do a search for "gluten free recipes" and see what comes up.

Jadegirl1819
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Just remember that it's more than bread and past, etc. A lot of condiments and other items you wouldn't expect have gluten in them.  If your husband plans on getting tested for celiac or an intolerance then he can't go gluten free before the test.

My son is monitored for celiac so I looked into it a bit.  I have a cook book that is pretty good.  I will try and find it and give you the name.

cleanaturalady
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:45 PM

I don't have any experience with this, but I would look up gluten free recipes on line and start experimenting.  You may even be able to find forums and support groups with lots of tips. 

mp3mom
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Good for you!

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

After describing the list of signs of gluten intolerance to dh he decided we are going gluten free. We have given ourselves roughly 3 months to get rid of all gluten in our house. This will be mid move too so any suggestions on restaurants or fast food places that offer gluten free would be great too. What i need are recipes I can use for sandwhich bread and muffins and suggestions on what to buy gluten free and what to just cut out. Dh will be the hardest to cut out as i pack his lunch. DS and I are mostly gluten free except for dinner already. Oh and this is absolutely necessary as DH has the most symptoms and DS just got a sensory processing diagnosis. Also Dh and i have discovered we qualify as Asperger's. So we really need to make this work for us.

Any good cracker suggestions? i'm addicted to crackers.

Krysden
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:17 PM

I've got nothing.... but want to wish you luck! (=

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)