Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Paleo Diet

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:38 PM
  • 28 Replies

It's sort of the trendy thing right now.  Has anyone tried it?

The Ultimate Guide to Eating Paleo

by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:04 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm against this as I think a veggie diet is healthier and anything that emphasis meat eating is a pretty terrible fad diet catering to those that like to eat meat.

Btw, our ancestors didn't eat that much meat. They weren't that good of hunters. When they did, they had to share it with the entire tribe and it was very lean, wild meat. Today's farmed meat is very fatty in comparison.

Aqua_Jen
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:08 PM
1 mom liked this
We eat a modified version. We eat brown rice and beans sparingly. I love it. I've lost 40 lbs since starting it and I feel great! The key is to avoid processed food and to know where your food is coming from.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Alyson121
by Alyson on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:19 PM
1 mom liked this

AKA, The Caveman diet.  We do try and eat foods that are less processed and ancient and non-hybrid and nonGMO,etc.  I think we incorporate some of the ideas of the Paleo diet.

Alyson121
by Alyson on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Exactly, that's what we try and do.

Quoting Aqua_Jen:

We eat a modified version. We eat brown rice and beans sparingly. I love it. I've lost 40 lbs since starting it and I feel great! The key is to avoid processed food and to know where your food is coming from.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:58 PM

I love this!

mich.el.le
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

I'm against this as I think a veggie diet is healthier and anything that emphasis meat eating is a pretty terrible fad diet catering to those that like to eat meat.

Btw, our ancestors didn't eat that much meat. They weren't that good of hunters. When they did, they had to share it with the entire tribe and it was very lean, wild meat. Today's farmed meat is very fatty in comparison.

I completely agree! I like that they promote unprocessed foods. I completely disagree with their opinion on what we should eat aside from that though. 

kerwolfe712
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:34 PM

My husband does a mostly Paleo diet, and my daughter and I eat limited grains (gluten intolerance).  I disagree with those saying that anything emphasizing meat is bad.  I think it very much depends on the person--I have several friends who are varied levels of veggie diets (from pescatarian who eats fish 2x monthly all the way to vegan), who are very healthy and I believe that lifestyle works for them.  However, every time I've ever cut out meat, even under the guidance of a nutritionist to ensure I was getting complete proteins, I became very ill.  My body is not meant to go without meat.  

Also, if you go deeper than the infographic in researching paleo, you'll find that they emphasize very specific types of meat that are less fatty (grass-fed, all-natural, no antibiotic, no hormone, preferably wild game).  My husband and I source our meat carefully when we are unable to hunt it or raise it ourselves.  It is certainly not for everyone, but it has helped us quite a bit--my husband has an easier time maintaing his weight (he is very thin with a high metabolism), I have lost quite a bit of weight and have had an easier time controlling my hypothyroidism and our daughter no longer needs to use topical steroids for a skin condition after cutting out most grains (we still eat rice, and very rarely, non-GMO corn). 

Amanda52007
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:40 PM

I couldn't do it. I'm not strong enough to do it.

mp3mom
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Thanks. I don't think we could go without meat or fish; we eat a lot of fruit & veggies, but I can't see my family eating only that.

kitty8199
by Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:47 PM
1 mom liked this
I can't eliminate my legumes and grains. I just can't, lol.

I eat tons of veggies and not many red meats, or processed food
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)