Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Applegate Organics Chicken & Apple Sausage Recall

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 3:32 AM
  • 9 Replies

Applegate Organics Chicken & Apple Sausage Recall

Frequently Asked Questions
February 27, 2013

At Applegate we work in service to our devoted customers who entrust us with providing food for their tables. Our brand is built on this trust. As such, it is with genuine regret that we find ourselves having to recall a product that does not meet our standards. Needless to say, we will work swiftly and diligently to resolve the issue that caused this problem.

What product is affected by the recall?
12-ounce packages of Applegate Organics Chicken & Apple Sausages with the “USE BY/FREEZE BY” date of March 17, 2013 on the label and establishment code “P-5411” inside the USDA mark of inspection. This is the ONLY product affected by the recall.

How much of this product is out in the marketplace?
We have confirmed that 930 cases of Applegate Organics Chicken & Apple Sausage are potentially affected. The product was distributed to retailers in California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Massachusetts, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Texas, Vermont, Washington and Wisconsin.

The shipment of this product has been tracked and all retailers with affected product have been notified.

Are any other Applegate products affected by the recall?
No. Only Applegate Organics Chicken & Apple Sausage with the “USE BY/FREEZE BY” date of March 17, 2013 is included in this recall. No other Applegate products are affected.

Why is Applegate issuing a recall?
The product is being recalled because it may contain small pieces of plastic.

How did Applegate know there was a problem with the recalled product?
The problem was detected following three consumer complaints to the company. All three products were labeled with an establishment code “P-5411” inside the USDA mark of inspection and a “USE BY/FREEZE BY” date of March 17, 2013.

What do I do if I have affected product and how do I get reimbursed?
If you have the Applegate Organics Chicken & Apple Sausage with a “USE BY/FREEZE BY” date of March 17, 2013, please return affected product to the retailer where it was purchased for a full refund.

Has anyone become ill from the recalled product?
No. Applegate has received no reports of illness nor has the USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service. Nevertheless, anyone concerned about injury from consumption of the product should contact a healthcare provider.

How will Applegate prevent this from happening in the future?
We are carefully evaluating and inspecting the facility and will be modifying our foreign material prevention protocols to ensure such problems are prevented.

Where can consumers go for more information?
Consumers can visit the Applegate website at www.applegate.com or call us at 866-587-5858.

Consumers can also contact "Ask Karen," the USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service virtual representative available 24 hours a day at AskKaren.gov. The toll-free USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline 1-888-MPHotline (1-888-674-6854) is available in English and Spanish and can be reached from l0 a.m. to 4 p.m. (Eastern Time) Monday through Friday. Recorded food safety messages are available 24 hours a day.

by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 3:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
bhwrn1
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 5:36 AM

Oh, we use a few of their products. The hot dogs mostly. Good to know. Thanks for sharing.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 28, 2013 at 6:28 AM

I've actually never heard of Applegate.  

mrswillie
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 6:30 AM

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Neither have I.

Krysden
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:56 PM

never heard of them but good to know anyway

Alyson121
by Alyson on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:06 AM

Yeah, we buy their products from time to time as well.

Quoting bhwrn1:

Oh, we use a few of their products. The hot dogs mostly. Good to know. Thanks for sharing.

Alyson121
by Alyson on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Quoting mrswillie:

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Neither have I.

They're mostly sold in stores like Whole Foods or natural grocers. They do have them in the natural food section of some supermarkets as well.

Alyson121
by Alyson on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:08 AM

yeah, i've been learning about all kinds of recalls.  I wonder why they never talk about this stuff on the news.

Quoting Krysden:

never heard of them but good to know anyway

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:43 AM
I but their stuff from time to time because they are allergen friendly and have no nitrates. Luckily don't have anyof these.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lcherian
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:48 AM
I love APplegate products!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN