Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Whoa!

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 6:58 PM
  • 8 Replies

So, tomorrow we start spring soccer. Both of our girls have been invited to a soccer league, and not just the YMCA. That means, it's tougher, more serious, and more time spent practicing and gaming. 5 out of 7 days a week for 3 months! I'm SHOCKED! But we're all excited.

I need some help now. I LOVE crockpot cooking, and I've done it plenty of times before when we've had 2-3 days a week soccer. 

There are some recipes I have that need the oven. Mostly casseroles, baked items, etc. Could I do those types of things in the crockpot?

Here is an example. I have a baked burrito recipe that we LOVE. Prepare it, pop it in the oven at 350 degrees for 30-ish minutes. 

Could that be put in the crockpot on low for....3 hours? 

I hope I'm making sense! haha 

by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 6:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Alyson121
by Alyson on Mar. 4, 2013 at 1:50 AM
It seems like it would be okay as long as there's no tortilla being cooked in there too
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Amanda52007
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 6:43 AM

We would put them in shells at the last minute. My main concern is the sour cream mixture that has to cook on top of the meat.

mypbandj
by Jen on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:13 AM

I think the sour cream should be fine. 

Basherte
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:20 AM

I have no clue.

I'd wait the 30 minutes for it to be done in the oven. I'd prepare it for cooking and let it sit in the fridge like that, then when I get home I'd pop it in the oven. Have the kids do homework or something while waiting for dinner to be served. Depending on what time ya'll get home, of course.

wedding countdown

Amanda52007
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:48 AM

That's our other option. 

I will be able to leave a few minutes earlier from practice (my husband mets us there so there will be two of us with vehicles) and I can do it in the oven so it's ready when they get here. 

Quoting Basherte:

I have no clue.

I'd wait the 30 minutes for it to be done in the oven. I'd prepare it for cooking and let it sit in the fridge like that, then when I get home I'd pop it in the oven. Have the kids do homework or something while waiting for dinner to be served. Depending on what time ya'll get home, of course.

Amanda52007
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Thanks everyone that's replied!

Basherte
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:03 AM

That would be awesome. 

The only reason I say to leave it to the oven instead of a crock pot is that crock pots are (at least in my mind) used when you are roasting something that you want tender, or soup or stews and that kind of thing. One of the main ingredients is water or broth or stock. (At least for most of the recipes that I've seen for the crock pot) I could be wrong. I don't own a crock pot right now and have no intention of buying one in the foreseeable future.  Mainly because I'm a SAHM, and don't need a crock pot. I can do the same thing on the stove on low heat.

Quoting Amanda52007:

That's our other option. 

I will be able to leave a few minutes earlier from practice (my husband mets us there so there will be two of us with vehicles) and I can do it in the oven so it's ready when they get here. 

Quoting Basherte:

I have no clue.

wedding countdown

Amanda52007
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Oh I would die without mine. DIE. I have 3 kids and am a SAHM but rarely am at home all day. Sports, afterschool activities.....I couldn't survive without a crockpot! haha

Quoting Basherte:

That would be awesome. 

The only reason I say to leave it to the oven instead of a crock pot is that crock pots are (at least in my mind) used when you are roasting something that you want tender, or soup or stews and that kind of thing. One of the main ingredients is water or broth or stock. (At least for most of the recipes that I've seen for the crock pot) I could be wrong. I don't own a crock pot right now and have no intention of buying one in the foreseeable future.  Mainly because I'm a SAHM, and don't need a crock pot. I can do the same thing on the stove on low heat.

Quoting Amanda52007:

That's our other option. 

Quoting Basherte:

I have no clue.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN