Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Anyone or their kids ever had this particular surgery? (Ear)

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:49 PM
  • 13 Replies

It's called a "tympanoplasty". Basically they're going to go in and cut open the back of my sons ear, and put a graft over a large hole in his ear drum. From birth he's had ear infections, loss of hearing. Not terrible loss of hearing to the extent of being deaf but about a 30% loss. 7 sets of tubes, tonsils and adnoids out when he was two years old. He is now 7 years old. And for the last three years, he gets weekly allergy injections which we give him at home. So he's ended up with a hole in each ear drum which we tried just patching up but it didn't work on either one. So on April 3, he is having this surgery done on his left ear. This ear is his good ear with a 98% success rate. His right ear which has excessive scar tissue will be done in the summer time. They said he'll need a surgery just for the scar tissue (very likely) and then the surgery that he already will need. His right ear has an 80% success right.

Anyways this particular surgery makes me pretty nervous. His other ones have been fine and he's always bounced back very quickly. Even with the tonsils out, he was good 24 hours later. But this is a bigger surgery (they all three are) so I am nervous for him. He doesn't care..he is just concerned he'll miss recess and PE. LOL.  So if anyone has been through this or had a child who has, could you tell me how it went and the outcome? I am very confident in our doctor. He said he has done over 1000 of these surgeries.

Faith, Hope & Love "I Will Have Faith in YOU, Hope For YOU To Come Home To Me & Love YOU More Every Day".
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
twyliatepeka
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 2:01 PM
Dd (5) has a hole in her eardrum. She has had a patch done once & I didn't help. It was done while she was asleep to have her adenoids removed. They wanted to see if it would heal itself but it hasn't. She goes this month for another check up & if it isn't getting better they are going to talk about surgery.

I am sure it will be fine. At least he isn't freaking out about it. Grace's Doc talks like it isn't that big of deal & recovery time is very minimal.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Krysden
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 2:53 PM

I would be nervous too!   Just wanted to wish you (and him) luck! (=

raegan1221
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Our dr told us that recovery is about 6 weeks. The first week he can't do anything real active like recess of PE. Then he goes and gets his stitches out and he's still gotta take it easy for the next five weeks. I hope your little girl doesn't have to have it done. But if she does I am sure it'll go good. I think with Brayden I am just nervous. I am sure it will go fine like you said.

Quoting twyliatepeka:

Dd (5) has a hole in her eardrum. She has had a patch done once & I didn't help. It was done while she was asleep to have her adenoids removed. They wanted to see if it would heal itself but it hasn't. She goes this month for another check up & if it isn't getting better they are going to talk about surgery.

I am sure it will be fine. At least he isn't freaking out about it. Grace's Doc talks like it isn't that big of deal & recovery time is very minimal.

Faith, Hope & Love "I Will Have Faith in YOU, Hope For YOU To Come Home To Me & Love YOU More Every Day".
raegan1221
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Thank You!

Quoting Krysden:

I would be nervous too!   Just wanted to wish you (and him) luck! (=

twyliatepeka
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:17 PM
Thanks. I guess her docs idea of minimal is has a wider range than our definition. Lol. I understand, I am nervous too even just about her check up.

Quoting raegan1221:

Our dr told us that recovery is about 6 weeks. The first week he can't do anything real active like recess of PE. Then he goes and gets his stitches out and he's still gotta take it easy for the next five weeks. I hope your little girl doesn't have to have it done. But if she does I am sure it'll go good. I think with Brayden I am just nervous. I am sure it will go fine like you said.

Quoting twyliatepeka:

mypbandj
by Jen on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:19 PM
Yes, my dd had this surgery in 2010. She was 9 yrs old. Basically, she got her first tubes at 4. Then had another set plus adenoids removed at age 6. Well, one of those tubes never fell out. So she was 9 and having lots and lots of ear problems in that ear, the one with the tube. She was also swimming on a swim team so this was a big problem and kept interfering with her swimming.

I took her back to the ENT and he said the tube needed to be surgically removed. It was causing granulations in her eardrum (or something).

They took out the tube and patched the eardrum with some gel or something, idk. Well, that didnt work and she needed the other surgery. While it did seem like a bigger deal, it still didnt seem like too big if a deal.

She definitely had a harder time with the anesthesia - this time it made her sick. I felt helpless. But we were able to go home much sooner than when she had the adenoids removed.

She took it easy but honestly it wasn't a big deal. Besides getting sick right after, I didn't really notice a big difference in recovery.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
raegan1221
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:24 PM
Oh good, that makes me feel a lot better. I'm glad it went good for yall. Did she have any hearing loss before surgery? If so, was it better after?

Quoting mypbandj:

Yes, my dd had this surgery in 2010. She was 9 yrs old. Basically, she got her first tubes at 4. Then had another set plus adenoids removed at age 6. Well, one of those tubes never fell out. So she was 9 and having lots and lots of ear problems in that ear, the one with the tube. She was also swimming on a swim team so this was a big problem and kept interfering with her swimming.

I took her back to the ENT and he said the tube needed to be surgically removed. It was causing granulations in her eardrum (or something).

They took out the tube and patched the eardrum with some gel or something, idk. Well, that didnt work and she needed the other surgery. While it did seem like a bigger deal, it still didnt seem like too big if a deal.

She definitely had a harder time with the anesthesia - this time it made her sick. I felt helpless. But we were able to go home much sooner than when she had the adenoids removed.

She took it easy but honestly it wasn't a big deal. Besides getting sick right after, I didn't really notice a big difference in recovery.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mypbandj
by Jen on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:34 PM
She really didn't. Her hearing loss was very minimal. So I don't think the surgery changed that for her. We just wanted the hole gone so she could swim.

Quoting raegan1221:

Oh good, that makes me feel a lot better. I'm glad it went good for yall. Did she have any hearing loss before surgery? If so, was it better after?

Quoting mypbandj:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
e-doolittle
by Kelly on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:02 AM
Good luck!
raegan1221
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Thank You:).

Quoting e-doolittle:

Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)