Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

What I posted on Fb just now- it's worth a look

Posted by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 8:22 PM
  • 10 Replies
3 moms liked this
I have seen so many posts on here from parents lately stating how angry they get when their child(ren) draw on the walls, cut their own hair, fight with their siblings, make a mess when they eat, spill a drink on the carpet.... how about you all think about this?
The school I am at right now for my clinical rotation is a school in Pekin that is for severely disabled children, aged 3-21. Some of the disabilities include : Cerebral Palsy, Autism, developmental delays, deafness, blindness and traumatic brain injuries. SEVERAL of these children (close to 90%) are not toilet-trained (specifically because of their cognitive disabilities), over 50% are fed with a G-Tube, close to 40% are prone to seizures (which I just witnessed my first today, and I am sure there are several to follow), and 75% or more are wheelchair bound (several have no head or trunk control). These children will NEVER be able to do any of the above "mishaps" I mentioned above.

So why don't you all take a moment and be thankful that your child(ren) CAN do these things, and don't take them for granted.

BTW- I ended up with 25+ "likes" and a few "amens". Wasn't expecting that.
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 8:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
joyfulmom30
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 9:19 PM

BUMP!

ProudMommy51006
by Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 8:54 PM
1 mom liked this

This made me tear!

mypbandj
by Jen on Mar. 24, 2013 at 9:28 PM
So true. Imagine if your child came down with cancer. I bet you'd gladly switch that for some marker all over the wall.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 25, 2013 at 6:37 AM

Very true mama!  Thanks for sharing:)

My son is 4.5 years old with Cystic Fibrosis, Autism, Aarskog Syndrome, 16p Chromosome Duplication, Asthma, Gastroentesis, and Brain Damage.  He has the brain of a 10-12 month old and the bones of an 18 month old.  He is fed through a g-tube and is eating baby food.

Basherte
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 8:04 AM

That's good advice.

Can I ask you a question? How do you deal with it? You personally. 

(I have an asd 4 year old)

CafeMom Tickers
liliem
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:57 PM

bump

ninamsi
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 4:09 PM

I work for United Cerebral Palsy of Philadelphia & Vicinity.  My youngest attended the preschool program here with both able and disable children.  I children and adults five days a week with disabilities.  We need to be thankful for the ability to walk, talk and think enough to function without assistance.

tashraq87
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:54 PM
I am not sure how to answer this... What is he like? that could help me help you more.
tashraq87
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:55 PM
I am not sure how to answer this... What is he like? that could help me help you more.
Quoting Basherte:

That's good advice.

Basherte
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 10:56 PM

My only issue that is "pull my hair out frustrating" is him pinching.

He won't stop pinching. His tiny little fingers hurt! He doesn't even have nails. I can't imagine what the pinching would be like if he had nails. 

I meant you, though. How do you personally deal with the kids? How do you get past the frustration while dealing with them?

Quoting tashraq87:

Quoting Basherte:

That's good advice.

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)