Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Headaches.....advise please

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:43 AM
  • 16 Replies
So..I have been getting headaches a lot. About two weeks, got a migraine. But in the last two I've had headaches in my left temple consistently. This morning, I woke up with one. In the past hour its gone from left temple to right temple to back of my head. Now its back to my left temple pretty bad. I am under stress. Only medicine I take is birth control and lexapro. Any ideas? My bf feels I need to go to the Dr. I'm just not 100% sure if I should go, or if its bad enough to go as stupid as that sounds.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Had3girls
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:51 AM
I had the same problem and finally couldn't take it any longer and went to the doctor .... They gave me amitryptiline (that isn't how you spell it... I can't remember how to spell it sorry) it doesn't treat headaches but helps to prevent them ... Instead of having a headache every day I get 1 maybe 2 a month .... AT MOST .... Go to the doc its no fun having a headache every day !!!! Tell them bout the medicine I can't spell ...sorry !! They will know what you mean =) good luck!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
raegan1221
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Oh thank you! That's very helpful. I've really just been going to a walk in clinic. But I think I need to get established with an actual PCP. I will write down that medication. I am glad you're getting relief:).

Quoting Had3girls:

I had the same problem and finally couldn't take it any longer and went to the doctor .... They gave me amitryptiline (that isn't how you spell it... I can't remember how to spell it sorry) it doesn't treat headaches but helps to prevent them ... Instead of having a headache every day I get 1 maybe 2 a month .... AT MOST .... Go to the doc its no fun having a headache every day !!!! Tell them bout the medicine I can't spell ...sorry !! They will know what you mean =) good luck!!

Faith, Hope & Love "I Will Have Faith in YOU, Hope For YOU To Come Home To Me & Love YOU More Every Day".
Bleacheddecay
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Many migraine headaches are due to sinus issues. Do you have sinus issues? You can try OTC migraine meds for that.

For less severe headaches drinking a glass of water can help believe it or not. Many people have headaches from being dehydrated because they don't drink enough water but drink things like soda instead.

Had3girls
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:57 AM
You are very welcome =) I hope you are able to get some relief yourself !!!!! Good luck .... Keep me posted =)

Quoting raegan1221:

Oh thank you! That's very helpful. I've really just been going to a walk in clinic. But I think I need to get established with an actual PCP. I will write down that medication. I am glad you're getting relief:).

Quoting Had3girls:

Mama_Pollito
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:23 AM

sometimes i feel the same way that i dont think that its bad enough to go, but after days and days and it just does not get better i just end up going. But maybe if is also affecting your vision ( like migraine sometimes do ) you should go to get checked sometimes the side effects of medications wont show up right away and it could be that.

wayward_redhead
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:33 PM

water, caffeine, tylenol and ibuprofen should/might  provide temporary relief.

It could be from the lexapro you are taking.  I would also look at your diet.

Rota
by Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 1:58 PM

There are many causes of headaches and, unfortunately, when you go to the doctor, he/she will not look for the cause and just treat the symptoms-( pills). Since I am an RN and work in an Integrative Medicine clinic, these are the things that we do.

When someone comes in with a headache that they want to eliminate then we need to look for the cause.

1. Keep a journal and track what you eat and drink, when your headaches occur, document your stress and the timing of your periods. We are looking for patterns. Most people get PMS and that is entirely fixable with good nutrition and supplementation. However, you could be getting headaches from artificial flavorings, colorings and even preservatives. You could be getting headaches from lack of Vit D or Mg.
I used to get horrible headaches for over 20 years and got the usual prescriptions ( none of them worked  and I felt miserable. When someone convinced me to take top quality supplements, my headaches went away and I have not had even a hint of a headache in over 7 years.

So, it is a good idea to look for the cause because headaches and/or fatigue are one of the signs your body is sending you to tell you it needs something. That something is NOT amitryptiline or aspirin or tylenol. I hope this explanation helps

jenerica.
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Quoting Rota:

There are many causes of headaches and, unfortunately, when you go to the doctor, he/she will not look for the cause and just treat the symptoms-( pills). Since I am an RN and work in an Integrative Medicine clinic, these are the things that we do.

When someone comes in with a headache that they want to eliminate then we need to look for the cause.

1. Keep a journal and track what you eat and drink, when your headaches occur, document your stress and the timing of your periods. We are looking for patterns. Most people get PMS and that is entirely fixable with good nutrition and supplementation. However, you could be getting headaches from artificial flavorings, colorings and even preservatives. You could be getting headaches from lack of Vit D or Mg.
I used to get horrible headaches for over 20 years and got the usual prescriptions ( none of them worked  and I felt miserable. When someone convinced me to take top quality supplements, my headaches went away and I have not had even a hint of a headache in over 7 years.

So, it is a good idea to look for the cause because headaches and/or fatigue are one of the signs your body is sending you to tell you it needs something. That something is NOT amitryptiline or aspirin or tylenol. I hope this explanation helps

Yes!  Thank you for posting this...it saved me the time to type it.  :) 

bigred1058
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 2:32 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't mean to scare you but as a 20 year veteran of headache starting with migraines and then turning into pretty bad tension headaches due to a car accident. After my third child I was on birth control and then was taken off of birth control (I was breast feeding also) Due to an increase in my headache again. They have discovered a link between women with migraines and strokes while taking birth control. i thought they were full of crap but in my OBGYN's office A 26-year-old woman had a stroke that was related to her birth control and her history of migraines. So needless to say I no longer take birth control pills and have to be very careful now because of my headaches they are more under control if you are properly hydrated have checked out things with your sinuses learned some stress techniques to alleviate tension (which can start off with a tension headache and then develop into a migraine) and if you're exercising and eating healthily and sleeping well. Good luck but consult your doctor just to make sure that everything is okay.
AromaDrops33
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Headaches can be caused by so many things, I get really horrible migraines. I was introduced to a natural product that has changed my life. It's an essential oil blend called Deep Blue, you just put a few drops on your temples and it literally gets them to go away. I was so impressed that I decided to become a rep with them to help other people find ways to heal without taking medication. If your interested I can give you more details :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)