Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

There are carbs in everything!!!

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:36 PM
  • 10 Replies

Two friends of mine started the Atkins diet two weeks ago. She has lost 15lbs and her husband last lost 20. Although I am no where near hard-core enough to give up carbs & sugar completely I figured eating less carbs/sugar couldn't hurt. Since I'm obsessed with sandwiches and pastas just giving up those two seem like a major task. Anywho, I went to the store & bought a bunch of veggies, including snap peas. I get home and start munching on the peas, happen to glance at the nutritional facts and wtf peas have carbs? And sugar? I started going through my fridge and cheese is the ONLY thing less carbs. That's crazy to me.

by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mama_Pollito
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 4:19 PM
1 mom liked this

what! the cheese ? thats crazy! lets eat a lot of cheese! lol jk

jenerica.
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 5:17 PM
2 moms liked this

Some veggies do have a pretty high carb count.  But I am pretty sure you can deduct the dietary fiber from the total carb amount.  So if in one serving of snap peas, the carb amount is 7g, and the dietary fiber is 3g, then the total is 4g of carbs.  That's not bad.

Plus snap peas offer 3g of protein, 21% vitamin A, 98% vitamin C, 4% calcium, and 11% iron.  I think the good outweighs the bad by a long shot. 

Alyson121
by Alyson on Mar. 19, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Exactly. Plus how you body absorbs fresh snap peas vs. processed pasta is not the same.

Quoting jenerica.:

Some veggies do have a pretty high carb count.  But I am pretty sure you can deduct the dietary fiber from the total carb amount.  So if in one serving of snap peas, the carb amount is 7g, and the dietary fiber is 3g, then the total is 4g of carbs.  That's not bad.

Plus snap peas offer 3g of protein, 21% vitamin A, 98% vitamin C, 4% calcium, and 11% iron.  I think the good outweighs the bad by a long shot. 

Mama2JoshKatie
by New Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 5:45 PM

I've been on Atkins and read his book. If your friend and her husband are on Atkins and have given up carbs completely they are totally doing it wrong. Atkins is low carb, not no carb. Our bodies need healthy carbs. On Atkins the first two weeks are the lowest with about 20 carbs per day (12-15 of which are to come from veggies) and some people stay there for awhile if they have a lot to lose. But the idea is to gradually increase your carbs until you get to a healthy carb level for you.

asaffell
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:10 AM
2 moms liked this

Carbohydrates are anything that breaks down to a simple sugar at the molecular level - including things like starch and fiber that isn't fully broken down in the human body. Complex carbohydrates, like those found in vegetables and whole grains, affect the body differently than simple carbohydrates - like white flour, simple sugars, etc.

I'm not a huge fan of counting carbohydrates because vegetables and fruits are not the problem in the American diet. Huge amounts of fried potatoes, bleached flours, and excess simple sugars in our foods are. Just make smarter choices - eat real foods mama.

Melissa823
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 6:36 AM
3 moms liked this

This frustrates me for you. You're eating stinking GREEN VEGGIES. I mean, yes, they have carbs and sugar, but these are GOOD CARBS and GOOD SUGAR. It's not like you're eating WHITE BREAD and COOKIES.

Sorry, haha, I seem a little overly angry when  I look at what I wrote. 

You're doing a good job. You're eating healthy vegetables. Keep doing that and keep your portion size reasonable, exercise and you'll do great.

Atkins is an unsustainable diet for most people. It's too extreme. Balance will get you there. 

And, by your profile picture, you're beautiful and thin already!

jdahlstedt
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Aww thank you  :) That was taken just a few weeks after my son was ejected. The weight dropped off nicely (it helped I gained very little excess weight while preggo). Then I got the b/c Depo shot & now I'm heavier than I've ever been, even when carrying baby!- one of the most common side effects is weight gain. Ugg. This weight will not win! And dammit, I love snap peas! ;-)

Saphira1207
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:27 PM

O.o

Then eat snap peas!

As everyone has already told you,  they're the healthy (read: right) kind of carbs so consume them without guilt or worry.

Atkins is a poor choice for meal planning, just as others have said.  I know several Dieticians and none of them recommend it for weight loss.  They always tell people to eat proper portions (USDA has a chart to help with knowing what those are) and balance, balance, balance!

For instance

your meat should be the size of a pack of cards - no bigger or it's too much

veggies portions are the size of 1/2 of a baseball.  More is ok for these.

grains should be whole or something like couscous.  1/2 cup.  (spaghetti is hard to figure out so I'd go to the USDA site to get a visual for that one.)

Quoting jdahlstedt:

Aww thank you  :) That was taken just a few weeks after my son was ejected. The weight dropped off nicely (it helped I gained very little excess weight while preggo). Then I got the b/c Depo shot & now I'm heavier than I've ever been, even when carrying baby!- one of the most common side effects is weight gain. Ugg. This weight will not win! And dammit, I love snap peas! ;-)

liliana5
by New Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:25 PM
This is correct! Not to worry about carbs in fresh vegies.

Quoting jenerica.:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Yep.  I agree here.

Quoting jenerica.:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)