Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

working out is not working out.....

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:40 PM
  • 9 Replies

I am having one of those days.. I have been on this get healthy change of lifestyle thing since Jan and I am feeling discouraged today my stomach has only gone down a couple of inches with a weight-loss of about 6 lbs. I will not stop it is just that today my slow progress has really gotten to me. Last year at this time I was down 10lbs in one month then down 8 by the summer and by the winter holidays up 15, ugg I promised myself that I will not let that happen again since I worked so very hard for that weigh-loss.

simple frown

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Mama_Pollito
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Oh no! I understand what you are going through, same thing was happening to me, but then i decided to calm down and don't stress myself about loosing weight too much because was making me depress and grumpy just think about if you did it once you can do it twice, little by little you'll reach your goal, just don't try to overwork yourself so you don't feel disappointed

hugs

Saphira1207
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:35 PM
1 mom liked this

What method(s) are you using?

I've been using Sparkpeople and it's been going really well!

My weight hasn't changed much but my body fat went down a full % point and there's a lot more space between my thighs! And sitting up straight isn't so exhausting anymore either.

I admit I was a little disappointed at the weight thing but then I decided that it's probably just because I'm gaining muscle mass and that weighs more - so I'm getting healthier and leaner but the scale isn't going to see that.  I will - in the mirror.

So - i guess what I'm getting at is that maybe what you need to do is re-prioritize.  Stop worrying about the scale (because you might just have more muscle - a good thing) and focus on the other signs of better health.

Are you feeling more energetic?

Do your pants still rub together when you walk?

Can you sit up straight without getting tired from it?

Can you go for longer/faster walks without getting winded?

These are all much better indicators of your progress, imho.

good

asaffell
by Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Hugs mama! Tell us about what you're doing!

ashley9603
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this

Im different I enjoy the slow progress at times....you have to give it time.Switch up your routine and even your diet if you need to.What other areas are you noticing change?Its more than just the scale you need to look at....I remember being stuck at 140 pounds and it didnt move for 6 months lol....I just kept working and running lol as well as adding in some strength training and finally I made it....you can do it,it just takes time.

Basherte
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:10 AM

hugs

I've always found (for myself) that when I just watch what I eat. Not go on a diet, but change the way I eat, and do a little more activity, that I lose weight consistently for a little while then stop. Then I just add a little more activity and I continue losing weight. Until I get to where I want to be, then I continue with the eating and the activity, but stop adding more. 

It's better to have a good healthy diet than it is to go on "diets"

CafeMom Tickers
BeFit-Mom
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Slow weight loss is much healthier than fast. When with loose weight too quickly, up to 1/2 of that weight can come from protein that we take from our muscles. This in turn lowers our metabolism, making it that much harder to loose more.

Ideally, when we loose weight we loose extra stored fat, and hold on to our lean tissue. Being healthier is not just about what the scale says. We want to become leaner, and more fit.

Slow weight loss can be frustrating, so when you go into a funk, remind yourself that you are on a long journey, and your slow progress is a good thing.

Alyson121
by Alyson on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:11 PM

That's great progress.  Don't be so hard on yourself.  You are loosing inches AND weight. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Hugs mama!  Keep going!

Krysden
by Platinum Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:55 AM

Hang in there... any progress is good progress!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)