Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

My 4 yr old had a bad reaction to her dental cleaning with fluoride.

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:36 AM
  • 7 Replies
So the cleaning, flossing and fluoride process went well then a few days later she had a fever and sore throat. Turned out to be an eye infection so they prescribed and anti biotic. One day after doctors visit her lips have blister type sores and her gums also have them they are white and gums are red and bleed when I tried to gently brush them. I've never dealt with anything like this before. We are at emergency dental office now waiting and waiting to be seen. Anyone have experience with this? I know it could be a reaction to latex. But she doesn't have allergies to anything. Also she has ate anything but chicken broth and milk so I'm sure she lost a few pounds.
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
jenerica.
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Could it be hand foot & mouth disease

Symptoms

Hand-foot-and-mouth disease may cause some or all of the following signs and symptoms:
  • Fever
  • Sore throat
  • Feeling of being unwell (malaise)
  • Painful, red, blister-like lesions on the tongue, gums and inside of the cheeks
  • A red rash, without itching but sometimes with blistering, on the palms, soles and sometimes the buttocks
  • Irritability in infants and toddlers
  • Loss of appetite

The usual period from initial infection to the onset of signs and symptoms (incubation period) is three to seven days. A fever is often the first sign of hand-foot-and-mouth disease, followed by a sore throat and sometimes a poor appetite and malaise. One or two days after the fever begins, painful sores may develop in the mouth or throat. A rash on the hands and feet and possibly on the buttocks can follow within one or two days.

When to see a doctor
Hand-foot-and-mouth disease is usually a minor illness causing only a few days of fever and relatively mild signs and symptoms. Contact your doctor, however, if mouth sores or a sore throat keep your child from drinking fluids. Contact your doctor also if after a few days, your child's signs and symptoms worsen.

mypbandj
by Jen on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:01 AM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't think it could be the fluoride. First of all, fluoride is in lots of stuff from your bottled water to the water in canned veggies to juice to toothpaste. So it's highly likely she's been exposed before. Second of all, I would have thought she would have broken out right away. Not days later.

Look into hand foot mouth disease like the pp said. It's probably just a virus.

Hope she feels better soon!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:00 AM

Hugs mama!  I'm sorry to hear this but have no ideas.  Good luck!

Basherte
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:12 AM

I have no clue. hugs

CafeMom Tickers
liliem
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:10 AM
2 moms liked this

Fluoride is an industrial waste product. It has been proven to lower iq. It has also been proven that countries who fluoridate their water have no less difference in tooth decay from non-fluoridating countries. Also, fluorosis and bone decay is very real in fluoridated countries. I don't nderstand why people still fall for the whole fluoride lie. Also, next time you are at the hardware store or any store that sells rat poison, look at the ingredients. this is what you're putting into your child.

teamwilson
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 4:02 PM
It was cold sore virus she is feeling much better but will not be 100% for at least another week.
Krysden
by Platinum Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 8:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting teamwilson:

It was cold sore virus she is feeling much better but will not be 100% for at least another week.

I'm glad they figured out what was going on.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN