Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Coconut oil is awesome

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:42 AM
  • 22 Replies
2 moms liked this
Hi! 2 mos ago we stopped buying margarine and now use cold pressed extra virgin coconut oil and occasionally real unsalted butter . we also use EVOO and very rarely canola oil . the coconut oil is fantastic our whole family loves it we use it as a spread we use it to cook with we use it for everything .I highly recommend it. I even melted down and throw some whole wheat flour and to make my roux. so far as buying at the best deals I have seen are in big box stores and warehouse stores and also Amazon.you can probably find it in most supermarkets but it's probably a little bit spendy.
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
motamaid
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:45 AM
Sorry for a couple typos. Next time i wont post from mobile voice to text. I'm nursing my baby and trying to enjoy some CM.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Alyson121
by Alyson on Mar. 30, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Yes. . .we love it too. I use it in my hair and body creams as well.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 31, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Love that stuff!

Medusa686
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 7:28 PM

I put it in my hair an hour before my shampoo and it makes my hair soft and moisturizes well.  Also great for the skin.

jazzymom760
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:09 PM

I luv coconut oil too! Soooo much healthier than using butter :)

N_maricle
by Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 2:58 PM

I want to try that! About how much do you use? 

Quoting Medusa686:

I put it in my hair an hour before my shampoo and it makes my hair soft and moisturizes well.  Also great for the skin.

Mama_Pollito
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Oh i have to try it on my hair! i used it once on my skin when it was very dry and it made wonders!

Quoting Alyson121:

Yes. . .we love it too. I use it in my hair and body creams as well.

BeachMommy07
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Quoting N_maricle:

I want to try that! About how much do you use? 

Quoting Medusa686:

me too!

ny_momof3
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:57 AM

My mother is 66 and she went full on with the CO. She did at least two tablespoons a day. She would melt it in her coffee. After about 6 months she was off nearly all of her bloodpressure meds. She has arterial hardening as well and that reduced considerably. She was borderline diabetic and that no longer shows. She's done full blood workups and has the healthiest results in all her life. She raises her own chickens, drinks only her own goat's milk, cans her own veggies... you get the idea. She make a lifestyle change and besides the Rheumatoid Arthritis, she basically puts me and my DH to shame!!! She buys it by the box full online. She also lost nearly 30 pounds that was stubborn weight. I'm not advocating this for everyone, but she had major medical concerns and did not want to be tied to pills. We cringe at Rx commercials! I'm proud of her. We were all skeptical. But her doctor has backed it up... Her favorite treat is pita bread cut into chip size triangles. Coated w CO and topped with cinammon & sugar or Herbs de Provance. Bake at medium for about 5 min until crispy and golden!!! I tried it myself, and felt my blood sugar more balanced. I also didn't feel starving or hungry all the time. But I was put off by the constant oily feel in my mouth. Maybe I should have worked up to it. We still use it to cook w and in general. But not as the diet that some people like my mother explored. I might try again when I can buy the box which is about $60. Well worth the weight/wait :)

.strawberry.
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:22 AM

I don't buy into the whole coconut oil craze.  We are low/no oil and coconut especially is loaded with saturated fats.  There are some interesting articles about coconut oil on nutritionfacts.org

I do use it for a skin moisturizer, though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN